CHAPTER 54 - AND WE'RE OFF

Max's POV

I kissed her hand over and over again, unable to contain the joy in my heart. It was racing, and the tears found their way again, but they were tears of joy. For the first time in days, I had hope that she would be okay.

Ringing the nurse, I told her what happened. She looked at me like I was making it up. She must have thought I was so desperate that my mind had imagined it. If she wanted to doubt me, that was fine. I knew it happened.

As I anxiously waited, she rechecked her vitals. When she finished, she looked at me with an apologetic look.

"It looks like you may be right, they are getting stronger," she said.

I couldn't contain my happiness, I was over the moon with excitement.

"Thank you, thank you so much," I told her as she exited the room.

As soon as the door shut, I turned my attention back to Lillie.

"Okay baby, you're doing great. Just keep fighting and I will be right here when you wake up," I whispered to her as I kissed her forehead.

Sitting back down next to her, I waited. I would wait as long as it took because I knew she would pull through. In the middle of the night, I was still there, staring at her beautiful face. Her hand was in mine, and I was remembering all the times she took mine to comfort me. As I watched, her eyelids fluttered.

"Yes baby, that's it. Come back to me," I encouraged her.

They fluttered a few more times and then she tried to open them. I took her face in my hand and caressed her cheek. I wanted her to feel nothing but love as she came to.

At first, she could barely open them, but she kept fighting. A few minutes later I could see the entirety of her gorgeous eyes, but I could tell she was struggling to focus.

"Hello there, beautiful, I have been waiting on you," I said to her in my softest voice.

"Max," she called out to me, but it barely came out as a whisper.

"I'm right here baby," I said trying to reassure her.

She looked into my eyes and I knew our souls were connecting once more. I refused to break our stare and held it until she drifted back to sleep.

A few hours later, she woke again and could stay present a little longer. She still wasn't saying much, but that was okay. I was so thankful that she was responding. I would take her any way I could get her.

Piper came in to visit and tried to wake her, but she slept on. She could take as long as she needed, I wasn't going anywhere. 

The next day she was able to stay up for longer and longer spells. She was still groggy, but she was improving.

By that night things were getting clearer for her. I had gotten no sleep. I refused to because I needed to be there for her. At some point, my body refused to follow my mind's instructions any longer. I fell asleep next to her with my head resting on her bed.

I am uncertain how long I was out, but I woke to someone caressing the back of my head. Startled, I bolted up.

"Max, sleep, you're exhausted," she said.

I could barely believe my eyes. She was fully alert and talking. God had answered my prayers.

"You're here, you're really here," I said with tears streaming down my face.

"I never left you," she replied. I couldn't wait for another second, I bent down and kissed her sweet lips.

"I have missed you so much," I said.

"I'm here now," she whispered as I nuzzled my face into her chest.

I continued sobbing tears of relief as I listened to her heartbeat. She kissed my head and comforted me. How could she be so amazing? She had been out for four days, and she was comforting me.

It took her a while to come back to herself. At first, she could only talk. Her body was still weak. Over the coming days, she regained her strength. I had the honor of escorting her down the hall for her first walk since the accident.

Chase was coming along too, and he and Piper were coming to her room to visit us. It was nice to have the gang back together again, with everyone intact.

I had explained everything to them that James told me. It shocked them to know that the FBI had nothing to do with it. Somehow, they had concluded that it involved them.

One morning when we were talking over breakfast, the door opened. There before us was James himself.

"All right guys, get yourselves together, it's time to move," he said.

He didn't give us much more information, only that we would head out within the hour. We all got ready and were waiting together when he came to retrieve us.

They picked us up in a black SUV and James escorted us himself. We were driven to a private airstrip and began unloading our things. Once we were safe and secure inside the plane, we took off.

"I hope you're ready for Australia," he said as the landing gear retracted. 

*********

A/N

Well, our Lillie is going to be okay. I really appreciate you continuing to follow their journey and appreciate your thoughts and feedback.