CHAPTER 12 - THE STRANGERS OUTSIDE

I stood there frozen in place and scared out of my mind. I am not sure how long it was but my phone buzzing startled me, breaking my attention from the car. Grateful that someone, anyone was calling I frantically answered it. Just to know someone was on the other end of the line was comforting.

"Lillie?" I heard Max say.

"Yeah?" I responded in a small voice still frightened.

"I really need to talk to you, I am only a couple of minutes away."

That was it. That was all he said and then he hung up unexpectedly leaving me feeling completely and utterly alone.

Those couple of minutes felt like a lifetime knowing someone was parked outside my apartment. Even though I had no idea who they were or why they were there, I couldn't shake the feeling that they were stalking me.

Were they going to bust in at any moment and kidnap me? Were they going to kill me? What could I possibly have that they would want? These thoughts ran through my mind in rapid succession and there was nothing I could do to tame them. When they had reached a point I was nearly hyperventilating, I saw my doorknob rattling. A scream escaped me but soon after I heard Max's voice on the other side.

He began slamming himself into the door trying to get in. I guess my scream made him think I was in trouble. I couldn't really blame him, I would have thought the same thing. By the time I got to the door and opened it, I was a mess. One look at me and he could tell I was shaking uncontrollably.

"What's wrong?" He asked, his voice dripping with concern.

"There's a car outside and I think it's been following me all day," I explained.

"Why do you think they have been following you?"

"Because they were outside of the coffee shop when I left and now they are parked outside of my apartment."

He shook his head from side to side with a concerned look on his face.

"Sit down, Lillie, we need to talk."

I had no idea what was going on or why he wasn't more concerned about the car outside but I did as he asked. Once I was firmly in place on the couch, I looked up at him, waiting to hear what he had to say.

"I need to apologize for my behavior earlier," he began.

I was thankful he was apologizing and honestly felt a little sorry for him.

"It's okay Max, you had just gotten some really bad news."

"No, no it's not. I had no right to treat you that way without explanation. I have been a jerk to you for most of our relationship but believe when I tell you that I don't mean to be."

"It's fine, I talked it out with Chase and I think I can understand why you reacted that way."

He stopped dead in his tracks and looked at me with a shocked expression.

"What do you mean you talked it out with Chase?"

"I met him at the coffee shop down the street after I left you. I was pretty upset about everything that happened at your father's house."

His face turned red and I could tell he was furious.

"Damn it, Lillie, why do feel the need to run to him all the time?" He shouted.

"I don't know Max, maybe because I get whiplash from how you treat me. One minute you're kind and the next you're cold as ice. At least he comforts me when you mess with my head."

His expression changed and I could tell my words had struck a nerve. I watched as he began walking slowly towards me. He stopped right in front of me for a moment before he took the seat next to me.

"I'm sorry," he finally said. "I'm sorry for putting you in a position where you felt like you had to run to him."

"Why does that bother you, Max?" I questioned.

"Because it should be me that you run too."

I was shocked by his words. Max wanted me to run to him? That was news to me.

"I just don't know where I stand with you Max," I admitted.

"And that's my fault. I am going to do everything in my power to change that. You have no idea what it meant to have you next to me today. I don't think I could have gotten through that without you."

"Then why did you send me away?"

I had to know the answer to that question.

"About that," he said.

***********

A/N

I hope you enjoyed this chapter and I would love to hear your thoughts and feedback. Is Max growing on you?