CHAPTER 44 - THE CASTLE ON THE HILL

One of the security team treated Max and Piper while we were in the air. Getting her hydrated helped, and she was finally communicating with Chase. It brought him some relief that she was improving, but he was still distraught over the condition she was in.

When we finally landed at another private airstrip, there was an SUV waiting for us. I wasn't even sure where we were. We had been flying for so long. After a fifteen-minute drive, we pulled up to a castle sitting on top of a hill in Capri. If we were not escaping a hostage situation, I might have been able to appreciate how gorgeous it was.

Once we were safely inside, the guards took their positions. I felt completely and utterly safe there. We were so far removed from where the horror unfolded. Max having the forethought to bring us there was the right decision, and I was grateful that he did.

We got Piper settled into a comfortable bed so she could begin healing. Chase stayed right next to her, just as he had since they rescued us.

Max and I went to the master bedroom, and I desperately needed a bath. He was in the room pouring himself a drink so I excused myself and began running the bathwater.

Alone for the first time, I removed my clothes and gasped as I looked in the mirror. I looked like a hideous, mangled mess. Staring at my bare body, I ran my hand over every bruise. Each time the thought of how it got there invaded my mind, making me flinch.

I was so lost seeing what they had done to me that I didn't even notice that Max had walked in. When I turned to get in the bath, I saw him standing there. Tears streamed down his face as he stared at my naked form that didn't even look human. Freezing in place, I didn't know what to say.

Seeing me like that broke him, he was crumbling right before my eyes. If I didn't do something fast, I would crumble with him. I walked toward him and began unbuttoning his shirt and slipped it off, revealing his bloody shoulder. As I continued to undress him, he remained silent, but his tears continued to fall.

Once I finished, he seemed to become more present with me and led me to the tub where we climbed in. I was careful not to lean fully against him but angled my body so I could look in his eyes. He ran his fingers over the bruises on my neck and collarbone and I could tell that he was mentally torturing himself.

"A penny for your thoughts?" I asked.

"I can't get it out of my head, Lillie. I thought hearing what they did to you would kill me. But I was wrong. Seeing what they did to you, it's more than I can take," he confessed. "I just keep seeing you screaming out in pain while they hit you and no one being there to save you."

I needed to help him deal with what happened. It was eating him up inside. Shying away from it would not help either of us.

"What they did to me was horrible, and it will haunt me for the rest of my life but it's not your fault Max, please believe that. You did not ask for this, any of it. They didn't give you a choice."

He looked down at me with a heavy heart.

"They will not stop. They will keep coming for all of us," he said, and I shared his fear. I was glad we were talking honestly and openly about everything. We owed that much to each other.

"Max, I don't know how we will get out of this but I am with you till the end, whatever form it comes in," I said as I kissed his chest.

He tilted my head up to meet his, "Baby, I love you and I will not let anybody hurt you again. Whatever it takes, I will find a way for us to be free once and for all."

"I know you will," I said as he kissed me and reminded me of how much I needed him. His skin next to mine was better than any medicine a doctor could have prescribed.

I took the sponge and began slowly washing him, being careful around his shoulder. When we finished, we finally climbed into bed. Laying my head on his chest, I heard the sound that I had grown to crave. The beat of his heart lulled me to sleep.

My captors were waiting for me in my dreams and every moment felt real. They transported me right back to that place, and I screamed as their fists slammed into me once more. I don't know how long I was screaming but Max woke me, shaking me from the terrors and saving me once more.

"Wake up, Lillie, it's just a dream," I heard him shouting. Once I could focus, I realized I was safe as he pulled me to him. Well, as best as he could with a wounded shoulder.

I clung to him for dear life and wasn't sure what mine would be without him. He brought me comfort and quieted my fears. Once I was calm, he told me he was going into the living room to get a drink and think things through.

As I drifted to sleep once more, I could hear the muffled sounds of him and Chase desperately trying to find a way out. 

*******

A/N

Thanks for continuing on this journey with me. It's nice that they are in a safe place for now and taking some time to heal. Do you think Max and Chase will find a way out?