CHAPTER 19 - THE RECORDING

He turned the key slowly as I looked on. When he opened the door we were expecting to find where his father was leading us. What we found instead were beautiful dresses worn by his mother. They were so elegant and I imagined her wearing each one to a different gala.

Max looked back at me with questioning eyes. I wasn't sure if we had hit a dead end but I knew we were not giving up that easy.

I gently slid all of her dresses to one side so that I could search the inside of the wardrobe but it revealed nothing.

Undaunted, I slid them to the other side. We both noticed it right away. On the back panel in the right corner was a circle with the letter M engraved in it.

"Push it," I told Max growing impatient.

He pushed the circle and the entire back of the wardrobe opened. We just stared at each other in amazement. His father had spared no expense to conceal his secrets.

"After you," I said a little apprehensive about what might be waiting on the other side.

Max stepped into the wardrobe and through the opening. I followed close behind him. The opening was only tall enough for us to bend down and practically crawl through it. The small passageway was short and I was grateful because it was beginning to get a bit claustrophobic in there.

We came out of the other side in an open room and I was relieved. When we stood up, we had to take a minute to adjust to where we were.

A large table sat in the center of the room. There was a framed photo of his mother on it and nothing else. Other than a large painting of his mother on the wall, there wasn't much else in the room. We did notice a cart in the corner with a box of cigars and what looked like some very expensive and very old liquor.

The feeling of the room was unsettling. There were no windows and the walls and floor were made of large stones creating a chill in the room.

"What are we supposed to do now?" I questioned.

"I am not sure," Max said as he walked around the room studying the few items that were present.

After a few minutes, he began talking through his thoughts.

"There was a note at every step before this room," he reminded me.

"We haven't found anything that even resembled a note, Max."

"I know, there's something we're missing."

"Every clue has been about your mother right?"

"Yeah," he responded realizing that I was on to something.

"The only thing on the table is a picture of her," I said as I stared a the photo.

Max picked it up and began examining it again but found nothing.

"Let me see it," I said and he handed me the picture.

I carefully opened the frame and removed the back panel. Behind it was another envelope marked with Max's name. When I removed the envelope I noticed six numbers. They were scribbled so small on the back of the photo they were barely readable. Confused, I showed it to Max and handed him the envelope.

One thing that has brought me peace since we lost her is surrounding myself with images of her. When I look at her sweet face, it makes me smile. A thousand memories come back all at once. Always cherish them, Max, they will get you through your hardest days.

"He talked about images of your mother," I told Max when he finished reading the note.

"Yeah, they are all over the house," he reminded me.

"But there is only one image of her left in this room."

We both stared at the portrait of her on the wall. We knew our next clue had to be there. Our hands ran across every inch of it and we were beginning to give up hope when Max shouted, "Got it."

He found a small button tucked behind the frame at the top of the portrait. When he pushed it, the life-sized frame opened up like a cabinet door. Behind it was a metal door with an electronic keypad.

"The numbers from the photo," I reminded him.

"What were they?"

"73519"

Max typed in each number carefully and the metal door opened slowly. Once inside we realized we had reached our final destination.

The room was small and lined with shelves full of boxes and files. On one wall hung a photo of his mother surrounded by photos of the car wreck that eventually killed her.

There was a button on the wall under the photo and Max's eyes were fixed on it. I couldn't tear mine away from the photos of the crash.

The car was upside down and his mother's body lay next to it with her face smashed into the dirt. She must have been thrown out with an enormous amount of force. My heart ached for Max having to see those images.

"Should we push it?" I asked.

It took him a second to answer but he finally did.

"Why not, we've come this far."

He was so somber and I knew he was on the verge of breaking down. I did not even know her and I was a mess looking at them. I could only imagine what he must have been feeling.

I grabbed his hand and laced his fingers in mine. Taking in a deep breath, I pushed the button knowing he wasn't strong enough to do it.

A women's voice filled the room and she was frantic. We listened in horror as she cried out for help.

"Cooper, they are behind us. They are going to ram the car," she shouted in desperation.

I looked at Max and tears were streaming down both sides of his face. We stood eerily still as the voice continued.

"I don't think I am going to make it out of this alive. I love you so much. Tell Max I love him. Max..., Max..., Cooper, take care of my baby. Keep him safe. Don't let them get to him."

We heard tires screeching in the background and then metal hitting metal. His mother screamed a blood-curdling scream and then the recording stopped.

Max fell into the floor, hearing her like that was more than he could take. I grabbed him and held him in my arms.

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry Max," I said trying to console him. 

*********

A/N

Thanks for following Max and Lillie's journey. My heart broke for Max in this chapter. I can't even imagine hearing a recording of your mother as she crashed. I would love to hear your thoughts. Why do you think his father went to such great links to keep this room secret?