CHAPTER 9 - PALE AS A GHOST

We walked for a bit until we found the entrance to the Cliff Walk overlooking Easton Bay. As I took in the sights around me I found it hard to breathe. The water and cliffs surrounding us were overwhelming my senses.

I was a bit quiet because all I could focus on was the beautiful view in front of us. Walking behind Max, I just stared, taking in every beautiful sight. You sure didn't get views like that in New York City.

A few parts were a little shaky considering there were seventy-foot drops. Max was a perfect gentleman and held his hand out to assist me.

When we reached the end I was blown away. It was definitely worth the wait. We had been chatting along the way but nothing too serious, mostly light-hearted banter.

It seemed different once we reached the end. Max seemed a little more somber. He kept his gaze out over the water as he said, "Thanks for what you did back there."

I wasn't exactly sure what he was talking about but I assumed he was referring to our conversation about his mother. It was still shocking to me that he even confided something that personal to me.

"This is where I come to remember her," he admitted pulling on my heart strings a bit.

"Did you come here with her often?"

He was hesitant for a moment and it was clear that he was replaying the memories of his time with her.

"Yeah, we would always vacation here as a family. I don't think there is any part of this town that doesn't remind me of her."

"Will you tell me about her?" I asked hoping I wasn't prying too much.

"She was the best mother a boy could ask for. I used to act like a spoiled brat most of the time but she was always patient with me. She would give me time to get everything out of my system and then kneel down eye level with me to remind me why I shouldn't be acting that way."

"She sounds like a great mom Max, you must miss her terribly."

"There are no words," he confessed.

We stared out across the water a bit longer before we decided to head back. I didn't try to push the conversation any longer even though I was dying to know more about him. It was clearly a touchy subject and he would tell me in his own time, I was just thankful that he was starting to open up.

When we got back to the hotel Chase was in the Lobby. As soon as he saw us walk in he made sure to give me a hug. I didn't miss the look of disappointment on Max's face.

"Where is Grace?" I questioned.

"Sleeping off a little too much wine."

"Well, you better get her up and going because we are heading back in a couple of hours."

Chase didn't seem too happy about that bit of information but headed upstairs. We did the same and began packing our things.

It wasn't long until we were back on the plane and on our way home. The driver dropped Chase and his date off first and I assumed he would head for my apartment next. To my surprise, we went in a totally different direction.

"Where are we going?" I asked.

"Too my father's house. He has demanded that I see him as soon as possible."

I was a bit shocked that he was taking me there. I couldn't imagine their conversation would be an easy one by the way he described it.

"I don't want to intrude. I can just call an Uber and head back to my apartment." 

"Lillie, he insisted that you be there."

He insisted I be there? I wasn't sure how my presence would benefit anyone.

When we pulled up in front of Mr. Livingston's mansion my mouth gaped open. I couldn't imagine growing up in a place like that. Max must have had everything he ever dreamed of. No wonder he was so spoiled.

Another Butler greeted us and showed us to what I assumed was Mr. Livingston's office. Dark wood adorned every surface and the leather chairs made it feel like we were walking into the presence of royalty. We waited for a long time and Max was fidgeting like an eight-year-old about to come face to face with the principal. By the time his father walked into the room his nervousness had reached a fever pitch.

When I saw Mr. Livingston, I noticed that he didn't look quite right. His skin was pale and dark circles had formed under his eyes. Max must have been so preoccupied with why he wanted him there that he didn't notice.

Mr. Livingston took a seat and seeing him behind his large desk drove home the fact that he was an extremely powerful man.

Once he began speaking neither Max or me said a single word, we just sat and listened. It was clear from the beginning that what he had to say was serious.

He was reaffirming to Max that he would have to take over the company soon and I assumed that he was talking in relative terms. When he finally revealed the reason for our visit I felt my knees get a little weak.

I looked over at Max who had lost all of the color in his face and was fighting back tears. I took his hand in mine and squeezed it, reassuring him that I was right beside him. He squeezed mine back and I knew that even in such a dark moment, I was bringing him some level of comfort. 

***********

A/N

What do you think is going on with Mr. Livingston? I would love to hear your thoughts and feedback.