CHAPTER 24 - 112 Aston Street

We woke up early the next morning and we were all a bit groggy. We got back in the wee hours of the night and were all little tipsy on champagne.

Piper's phone was blowing up most of the night and I knew it was him. I was so nervous dropping her off at her apartment. I was scared he would pay her a visit and make her pay for not answering.

It was nice to see Max laying next to me as soon as my eyes opened. Ever since he found out I was scared to stay in the room alone, he had been by my side every single night. No matter how tough he tried to act sometimes, I knew underneath it all was a huge heart.

We hurried to get dressed because we had to meet the "mystery man." Max was noticeably nervous and I didn't blame him. From the little he had revealed, the conversation with his father had really shaken him. There was no doubt in any of our minds that this meeting would do the same.

Chase met us downstairs and he was thankfully ready on time. I wasn't sure how much he had to drink and I was hoping he wouldn't sleep right past his alarm.

Max was as quiet as a mouse on the ride to the meeting and it was breaking my heart. I hated that his mind was filled with grief, confusion, and what appeared to be fear. I just wanted to make him feel better. I would gladly take back the cocky, asshole I once knew if it meant he didn't have to feel pain.

Chase finally broke the silence and I was grateful.

"Lillie, have you heard from Piper since we dropped her off?"

I thought it was quite odd of him to ask me that.

"No, she is probably still sleeping, why?"

He had a look of worry that I thought was about our meeting but I was beginning to think maybe it had more to do with Piper."

"I called to check on her last night and she didn't answer. She isn't answering this morning either," he explained.

I have to admit that a tinge of jealousy shot through me. I have no idea why. They were both my friends but somehow I always thought of Chase as my own. I didn't like the idea of him caring for anyone else the way he did for me.

"I didn't know that you had her number," I said a bit shocked.

"I hope that's not a big deal. I just felt so bad after we left her the other day. I went to meet her afterward and literally begged her to leave the guy. She is too trusting and I am afraid he is going to really hurt her."

Ouch, so he really did care for her. It sure didn't take him long. I knew I was being a little salty about it but there was no controlling it.

"I am sure she is fine, I will try to call her later," I told him staring out of the window.

Max was listening to the entire conversation and he must have noticed my reaction. He put his hand on my knee and began to rub it gently.

We pulled up in front of 112 Ashton Street a few minutes before 10:00 am. We all stared at the building in front of us. It was very unassuming with a brick facade and very few windows. There was literally nothing remarkable about it. If you were not looking for it, you likely wouldn't have noticed it.

As we walked onto the elevator you could have heard a pin drop. Not one of us was saying a word. We were all anxious and completely unsure of what awaited us.

The elevator opened to a long hall and at the end of it was a door without any names or markings to speak of. It looked very sterile and cold and it sent a shiver down my spine. We walked toward it with Max taking the lead and Chase behind him. They were clearly in protection mode but I didn't mind one bit.

When we reached the door Max looked back at us looking for assurance that we were ready. Chase nodded his head and Max turned the knob slowly, easing open the door as he looked in.

We followed close behind him and stepped into a reception area. A beautiful woman sat behind a vintage desk. Dark, rich wood surrounded her and two velvet chairs sat across from her.

She stood up as we entered and looked as if she stepped out of a 50's sitcom. She wore a pencil skirt and fitted jacket. Her hair was up in a perfectly groomed bun and pearls adorned her neck.

Her eyes lit up when she saw Max and Chase. I hated that literally, every woman they came in contact with reacted that way. She stood up to greet us but we were all still apprehensive.

"How may I help you handsome, gentlemen?" She said in the most charming voice.

"My name is Maxwell Livingston and I was asked to come here for a meeting this morning."

I surprised myself when I moved around Chase stood by Max's side grabbing his hand. I was being ridiculously territorial but I didn't care. She wasn't going to bat her eyes like some temptress and put my guys under her spell.

"Please have a seat and I will let him know you are here," she said with a smile and disappeared through a door.

"I don't like this Max, it doesn't feel right, maybe we should just get out of here," Chase said.

"Yeah, it all seems a little creepy," I agreed.

Max thought for a moment before he responded.

"Maybe, you guys...."

He was interrupted by the beautiful woman who suddenly appeared.

"He will see you now." 

*************

A/N

I am not sure this meeting was a good idea. Who do you think is waiting to meet them? I would love to hear your thoughts.