CHAPTER 17 - THE ADVENTURE BEGINS

He began tugging on my arm and I knew that it must be important to him. I forced myself to get out of bed and as soon as my feet hit the floor he started tugging me toward the door.

We were practically running out of the room and down the stairs. When we reached the bottom I noticed that Chase was fast asleep on the couch. He must have dozed off while they were talking.

"Where is Piper?" I asked as we passed him.

"He had the driver take her home just after we arrived home," he replied never missing a beat.

I looked back at Chase as he continued pulling me along. He looked so peaceful lying there. Oddly, I wanted to wake him up just to talk to him but I knew that was out of the question. Max was on a mission and I knew he would not stop until it was complete.

We wound up in his father's bedroom. It was a bit much to take in. It should be illegal for people to have as much money as Mr. Livingston did. He clearly spared no expense on his home, making sure every inch of it was filled with luxury.

His bedroom reminded me of old-school Hollywood. All of the furniture was antique gold and his bed seemed larger than life. Large gold pillars marked each corner with a twisted ornate design.

All of the pieces of furniture seemed large and heavy, some with frescos painted on them. What really blew me away was the full-blown jacuzzi that led to a balcony with gorgeous views of the grounds.

It was like he lived in a fairytale. I suppose I shouldn't have been focused on such things at a time like that but I couldn't help it. I was in awe of everything around me.

When I finally turned my attention back to Max he was examining what looked like an antique music box. He turned it around to reveal a keyhole in the back.

"My mom loved this thing, my dad gave it to her for her birthday one year. She would always let me open it and tell me it was a treasure box," he said as he tried to fight the smile on his face. It was clearly a fond memory that he shared with his mother.

When he turned the key a secret compartment opened in the front of the box. We both stared at it for a moment and I could tell he was apprehensive about exploring its contents. Who could blame him? He had just lost his father and whatever was in there could have shattered him even more until he was completely broken.

I walked over to where he was and knelt down beside him. We both looked at each other and then back at the drawer. I watched anxiously as Max began removing each item one by one.

The first thing he pulled out was a gorgeous ring. It was a solid square diamond surrounded by a small band of diamonds set in rose gold. It must have been at least four carats.

"It was my mother's engagement ring," he said as he held it up to the light and studied it.

"It's beautiful Max," I told him as I stared at it in awe.

"Not nearly as beautiful as her."

My heart melted, he missed his mother so much. He gently set it on the table and pulled out an old black and white photograph next. It was of a small boy sitting on his mother's lap. The woman was beautiful and was leaning over giving the boy a kiss on the cheek.

"Is that your mother?" I asked.

"Yeah," he replied as he continued to stare at it.

"She is stunning."

"Thanks," he said as he laid it next to her ring and pulled an envelope out of the drawer.

The envelope had Maxwell written on the front in very small handwriting.

Max began ripping it open frantically until he freed the letter. He held it up so that we could both read it.

Maxwell,

Your mother was such a fun mom. I remember sitting in my study and hearing the two of you play hide and seek for hours. It seems you bested her more often than not. I am not sure that she ever figured out your secret spot. We were lucky to have her for as long as we did.

Your Father

Max looked at me and I could practically see the light bulb go off in his mind. I thought it was just a sweet letter but he clearly thought there was more to it than that.

"I know where he is talking about," he said as he stood up and grabbed the ring placing it in his pocket.

I was still trying to figure out what exactly was going on when he grabbed my hand and began pulling me towards the door.

As we left the room I asked him what was going on.

"My father couldn't let whatever he is leading us to fall into the wrong hands," he said. 

********

A/N

Thanks for continuing to follow Max and Lillie's story. I hope you're enjoying it. Where do you think Max's father is leading them?