CHAPTER 31 - THE NOTE

The next morning we went to Piper's apartment. She was sitting at the kitchen table, wrapped in a blanket when we walked in sipping on a cup of coffee. Her face, neck, and body were littered with bruises. They were a disturbing shade of purple accented by the cuts where his fists ripped into her skin.

It looked as if she and Chase had been involved in a deep conversation and we were interrupting them. That same old tinge of jealousy shot through me realizing how close they were getting.

I excused myself to the balcony to get some air and sort through the mess in my head. I just stared at the street below. It was buzzing with people getting their morning coffee, or maybe walking to work. It was a nice distraction to focus on someone other than myself for a change.

Chase joined me a few minutes later, leaning against the balcony next to me. He casually bumped his hip against mine as he winked at me.

"What's going on in the gorgeous head of yours?" He asked.

I hesitated to answer, detesting the thoughts that were running through my mind. What was I supposed to say? I hated you both when I first met you but now I am falling for your friend and can't get you out of my head? Something told me that wouldn't go over to well so I decided to answer his question with one of my own.

"You and Piper seem to be getting pretty close, are you guys a couple?"

"Well now Lillie, if I didn't know any better I would say you're jealous."

My cheeks were turning crimson and I could feel the heat filling them. There was nothing I could do to stop it so I did the only thing I could think of, lie.

"No, she is my best friend and I am just looking out for her. I can't have her falling for some playboy, you'll just break her heart."

A smirk appeared on his face, he was enjoying watching me squirm way too much.

"You just want me all to yourself don't you?" He teased.

There went those red cheeks again. Before I could even muster up an answer Max walked out and saved me.

"What is it about you two, every time I turn around your off somewhere having a deep conversation?" Chase and I looked at each other not sure how to answer. Max walked up behind me and placed his hand on my back.

"You're too late my friend, I have already claimed her so you are just out of luck," Max told Chase trying to make light of it. Although, I got the feeling it was a veiled warning.

After that Max grabbed my hand and led me back inside. When I looked back, Chase was staring out over the balcony and I wondered if his thoughts were of Piper or me.

Piper proceeded to thank us all profusely, Chase especially. She could hardly believe he had actually rented an apartment for her, let alone a nice one. We were both used to living in apartments that were a level or two below a run-down shack. It was the nicest place she had ever lived.

"It's not a problem, you can stay here as long as you like," Chase assured her.

She shot him a warm smile that was borderline flirtatious and I found myself getting jealous again. I had to mentally remind myself that it was none of my business because he did not belong to me and she deserved happiness.

"We have to go to another charity ball tonight. I would love it if you could come with me Piper but I think it's best if you stay here and recover," Chase announced.

"Who will you take?" I said a little quicker than I would have liked to.

"Are you doubting my skills, Lillie? I have an entire phone filled with women just dying to be my date. Don't you worry, I will have a woman on my arm tonight." Well now, there was the cocky Chase I first met.

We all said our goodbyes to Piper and left her to rest. I was so glad she was on the mend and that asshole didn't kill her. I told her I would be back soon to visit.

That night we all got dressed in ridiculously expensive outfits and headed to the gala. When I walked downstairs I wasn't sure whose mouth hit the floor first. Chase and Max both looked at me as if I was the most beautiful woman they had ever seen. I suppose the slit up to my thigh and two-inch heels didn't hurt.

The gala was like every other one we had been to. There were a bunch of pretentious people who thought they were more important than the rest of the world. It was ridiculous really, their noses were permanently tilted in an upward position.

I always found there conversations so entertaining. People were starving and dying all over the world and their biggest concern was who had the most expensive pair of shoes. It was so odd to me how perfectly Max and Chase fit into their world but they also fit into mine.

How could two men hang with the richest of rich and then the dredges of society and get along with both? Well, if I am being honest it wasn't always that way. Max used to detest me and looked at me like he wouldn't touch me if I was the last woman on earth. I was glad he finally came around.

At least there was lots of champagne and dancing. They were the only two things I actually enjoyed about those events. I would never miss a chance to dance the night away. It may have been very proper but I didn't care, I was still in Max's arms and that was a place I loved to be. We must have danced for hours that night. When we left they had donated a ridiculous amount of money and we were all exhausted.

When we climbed into the car, I leaned against Max's shoulder hoping we would get home as soon as possible. I was desperate for a little sleep.

Just after we dropped Chase's date off, Max's phone buzzed. When he looked at the text, it was disturbing, to say the least.

"Look in the right pocket of your jacket," was all it said.

Max put his hand in his pocket and pulled out a folded up piece of paper. We both stared as he read it and then passed to us one by one. When I read the words my heart literally stopped.

We know what you have in your possession and we will stop at nothing to get it. You might want to do the right thing or that pretty little girlfriend of yours will find herself in a very precarious situation. 

********

A/N

Well, it seems things are getting a little tricky for Max and Lillie! I would love to hear your thoughts. Who do you like best, Chase or Max?