CHAPTER 27 - I'M SORRY

Chase and I called a driver and went back to the mansion. On the way there he was so sad that it physically hurt me to see him that way. I remembered a time when I thought he was a playboy with no real substance, just shockingly good looks.

Since then, I had come to realize that he was one of the kindest people I had ever known. Underneath that beautifully polished exterior was just a little boy longing to be loved.

I scooted closer to him and leaned my head on his shoulder, I just wanted him to know I was there for him. He just leaned his head against mine and that is how we stayed until we arrived at the mansion. I think that is the mark of true friendship when just your presence is enough.

When we finally arrived, I was hoping to find Max but there he was nowhere to be found. I hated that he left so angry and hurt. How could he not understand that I was just trying to comfort Chase? I loved them both and seeing them in pain was more than I could handle.

After we realized he wasn't there, Chase told me he was going to go out for a while. I got the feeling he needed some time to himself. I said goodbye to him and looked around feeling very alone.

I was in a mansion with people who I thought were devoted employees. The realization that it was a show sent a shiver down my spine. While I knew I was safe, it felt like I was living in a wax museum. Everything looked perfect on the outside but nothing was real.

There was no way I could eat anything so I decided to just go to my room. I climbed into my bed that was so comfortable it felt like I was sinking into a cloud and starting watching tv. I was in desperate need of a distraction.

I tried to empty my thoughts but it was no use. All that I could think of was Max and where he could be. He wasn't answering phone calls or texts and I no idea where he was or what mindset he was in.

My brain had been in overdrive all day coupled with a ridiculous amount of anxiety. I finally drifted off to sleep. My mind and heart had reached a point of total exhaustion. I was dreaming of Max but in my dreams, he wasn't difficult. He was sweet and gentle and I wanted to stay in that world forever.

Sometime in the night, I felt someone touch my arm jarring me awake. Max's silhouette shown against the moonlight seeping in through the window.

He was sitting on the side of the bed, apparently watching me sleep. The room was silent as he pulled the covers back and climbed in next to me. I felt his hand begin gently caressing my face and leaned into its warmth.

"I'm so sorry Lillie," he whispered in the darkness.

My heart was finally at peace, he was there with me and he was okay. With everything we had been through most people would have fallen apart and I thought maybe he finally had. That was foolish of me really because I knew in my heart that we could get through anything as long as we had each other.

"Are you okay?" I asked because I needed to hear him say it.

"I am now," he said as he pulled me to him and I nestled into his chest.

He began kissing my forehead time after time and his lips were so soft and gentle. I closed my eyes and soaked in each one. We stayed just like that, skin on skin and it felt perfect.

That was until we nearly jumped out of our skin when the door slung open and Chase shouted, "Get dressed, now!"

Unsure of what he was going on, we could tell by his tone that there was no time for questions. We threw our clothes on as fast as we could and ran downstairs after him. I was still rubbing my eyes when I asked him what was wrong.

"It's Piper, that son of a bitch just showed up at her apartment and he is drunk."

We ran to the car and jumped in as Chase instructed the driver to drive and drive fast.

"How do you know?" I asked him.

"Because I have had someone watching her since I found out he was hitting her."

That response was not what I was expecting. I had no idea that Chase was so invested in what happened to Piper. The drive felt like it took an eternity and we were on pins and needles hoping we would get there faster.

As soon as the car pulled to a stop in front of her apartment we could hear her screaming. Chase knocked but the door was locked. He told us to step back. He stepped back too and then kicked the door with so much force I thought he was going to knock it off the hinges. It didn't work and we heard a voice behind us.

"Mr. West, I can take care of this," I heard the driver say.

"No," Chase shouted as he kicked it again and it finally flew open.

The scene in front of us as soon as the room came into view momentarily stunned us. He had piper by the throat and was slamming her head into the wall. Her feet were a foot off of the floor and there was no way she could catch her breath.

Even though everything was in slow motion it was a millisecond before I screamed and saw Max and Chase take off toward them. 

********

A/N 

I am so happy you are still with me! I appreciate more than you will ever know that you are still following Max and Lillie's journey. I hope you are enjoying it and LOVE to hear your feedback. Do you think Max and Lillie's relationship is growing? Why do you think he got so angry at the office?  Will Max and Chase destroy this guy?