CHAPTER 52 - SHE LAY STILL

Max's POV

As her eyes closed, panic struck my heart. It couldn't be real. She couldn't leave me. I needed her. I called out to her, but there was no response. Her body seemed lifeless and no matter how hard I tried, she would not respond.

I looked to Chase hoping he would help me, that anyone would help me. His body slumped over, he wasn't responding either. My eyes met Piper, and she was as distraught as I was. Neither of us knew what to do.

"Please baby, please," I pleaded but there was nothing, just silence.

The sirens were so close. It sounded like they were on top of us. Doors were slamming, and I heard loud voices, but it didn't matter. Holding her in my arms, I whispered to her how much I loved her. All that mattered was that she heard me.

Someone opened the door behind me and people converged on us, trying to tear her away from me. I was having none of it. She was mine, and I refused to let her go. As I argued with one paramedic, a man in a black suit appeared and pulled him to the side.

A moment later, I heard helicopters. I listened as they landed, still holding Lillie. Within minutes a new team was working to get us out of the vehicle. I protested again, but they told me if I did not let her go, they couldn't help her. That made me realize that I had to get her help. My heart ached as they pulled her out of my arms.

It confused me when they put a sheet over her before they loaded her into the helicopter. I demand that I go with her, and they obliged. I had to agree to lay still on the gurney once they removed me from the vehicle. Whatever they wanted was fine, but I had to be in that helicopter with her.

Honoring their request, I closed my eyes and remained still. Once I was inside the chopper, I reached over and grabbed her hand. Our gurneys were right next to each other, so it required little movement.

As soon as I was secure, we took off. I wasn't sure what was happening with Piper and Chase, but I assumed the second chopper was for them.

Once we were in the air, they began working on Lillie. They focused on her neck injury and I prayed they would be successful.

I am uncertain how long we were in the air, but when we landed, I was still holding her hand. Lillie still wasn't responding, and I knew she needed more help than they could provide. Her hand was growing cold and the realization that she might not make it was becoming all too clear.

As they were moving us inside, I noticed the second helicopter approaching. It was a relief knowing that Chase and Piper would be with us soon.

Large metal doors opened, and they took Lillie in first. They wheeled me in behind her. I watched as a team surrounded her and began pushing her gurney away from me. I screamed, demanding to know where they were taking her, but they didn't respond.

The man at the head of my gurney looked down at me with an odd look. It was then that I saw a syringe in his hand and winced as he stuck it into my neck. I tried to protest, but my words grew heavy. The last thing I remember was being wheeled down a stark white hallway and praying Lillie was okay.

When I woke, I was in an empty room. I looked around, and all that surrounded me was stark white walls. Glancing down at my hand, I noticed they wrapped it in gauze and the pain had subsided.

My thoughts immediately went to Lillie. I stood up with caution, uncertain what they had injected me with. Moving at a slower pace than normal, I made my way to the door. I had to find her. As soon as I entered the hallway, a nurse glared at me. She stood up and started walking toward me.

"Sir, are you feeling okay? You shouldn't be up."

"I am fine. I need to know where they took the woman I came in with."

A small smile filled her face. She seemed to understand that nothing would stop me from finding her.

"She is in room 4B," she said as she turned and looked at another nurse sitting in their station.

Walking down the hall, I read the numbers listed on the closed doors. I was going in the right direction. A few hallways later, I was approaching her room. Shock filled my face as I saw James standing outside of her door. My mind was full of confusion. I didn't know where we were, how everyone was, or why he was there. He had a look of pity as I approached him, which was unsettling.

"It's good to see you on your feet, Max," he greeted me.

"What is going on?" I asked curtly. I needed answers.

"Calm down, we already had to sedate you once."

Thoughts of a needle piercing my neck came to mind.

"Where is Lillie?" I demanded to know.

"She's inside but Max, she hasn't regained consciousness. Her body has lost a lot of blood and right now there are no guarantees she will make it."

"What do you mean? She will be fine," I insisted.

"I hope so but you have to prepare yourself for the worst before you go in there."

Pushing past him, I opened the door. Lillie's body lay lifeless in the hospital bed. She was so pale, her skin had no color, and she was still. She was so still that it scared me.

I pride myself on being a strong man, but the mere sight of her broke me. The tears fell as I walked towards her. When I took her hand in mine, her skin felt ice cold and I collapsed on her chest. It felt like someone had cracked mine open and removed my heart from it.

*******

A/N

Thanks guy for hanging in there with me. It looks like our gang isn't out of the woods yet. Is your heart aching for Max as much as mine is?