CHAPTER 16 - THE SECRET KEY

The scene playing out before me was heartbreaking. I could barely tear my eyes away from Mr. Livingston as Max was falling apart next to me.

He tried so hard to be strong for his father but I knew he wouldn't be able to hold it together for long. My anger for him had melted away and all I wanted to be was his anchor.

After he paused to gather himself he started walking toward his father's bed and I didn't let go of his hand. I couldn't let go, I knew how desperately he needed it. My soul could feel the anguish in his.

Mr. Livingston was a frail shadow of the strong man I was used to seeing. I was taken aback by how quickly he had deteriorated. I wasn't certain how long he had been ill but he had been very successful at hiding it, until that night anyway.

An oxygen mask clung to his face until the skin around it had become irritated. We watched as he attempted to breathe in and out. Each breath was so labored that you could not help but ache for him. His hands grasp desperately onto the bed rails for support and his body had contorted itself into the fetal position.

Max was frozen beside him, unable to move or even accept what was happening to his father. I wrapped myself around his arm to support him as a tear streamed down his cheek.

I wondered if he had stood by his mother's bedside as she died as well. Her memory paired with his father's suffering must have been tearing him apart inside.

Suddenly, I needed to comfort him somehow. I couldn't think of anything so I did what came naturally to me. I leaned into him and kissed his shoulder and I felt his body shiver under my touch. I tightened my grasp so that he knew I was right there beside him.

His father began trying to motion for Max to come closer with his hand. It was a difficult feat considering the state he was in.

Max took his father's hand and clung to it. He was trying to comfort his father even as his own heart shattered. I began slowly rubbing Max's back. I am not sure if it helped but I was trying to be strong for him.

Mr. Livingston started tugging frantically at his shirt collar and we weren't sure what was going on. Max tried to settle him but it was of no use, he just tugged harder.

Max thought maybe he wanted to take his shirt off to get more air and started trying to help him. It was then that Mr. Livingston was finally successful in revealing the key that was on a chain around his neck.

When Max saw it, his eyes widened. By the look on his face, he had seen the key before. It was very fancy, kind of like an old Victorian key. He was trying to get Max to take it.

I helped Max gently lean Mr. Livingston up long enough for him to remove the key. He simply placed it in his pocket and continued trying to comfort his father.

As soon as the key was in Max's possession it seemed to bring a sense of peace to Mr. Livingston. He was fighting so hard to stay alive until that moment.

Once he stopped fighting it was only a matter of minutes before he drew his last breath. It was so odd to me. Just moments before a living being was before us but as soon as he passed it was just an empty shell that was left.

Max just stared at him in a frozen gaze. No tears came, no emotion, just shock. He stayed like that for so long and I didn't leave his side.

When he was finally ready to leave the room, we walked out as we came in, hand in hand. As soon as the door shut behind us, Max slid down the wall and collapsed into the floor. I sat down next to him and wrapped my arms around him. He sobbed until his entire body was shaking. The pain was from so deep within him and I wondered how much of it was intertwined with his mother.

Chase tried to come around the corner at some point but I sent him away. Max needed to take the time to accept his father's passing.

He finally collapsed into my lap, exhausted but unable to stop the flood of tears. I gently stroked his hair over and over again praying it would soothe him.

After what felt like an eternity he finally rubbed the tears from his face and stood up. He extended his hand to me and helped me up from the floor as well. I remember thinking how sweet it was of him to think of helping me when he was so broken.

We found Chase in the living room and I figured they needed time alone. I hugged Max with everything I had in me and hoped he felt how much I wanted to heal his pain.

As I was walking up the stairs to my room I could hear Chase as he began trying to comfort Max in his own way. One thing he said sent chills down my spine.

"And so it begins."

They were only four little words but I got the feeling they were powerful ones.

I washed my face and laid across the bed, emotionally exhausted. I must have dozed off at some point because I woke to Max shaking me.

"What's wrong, are you okay," I asked through a sleepy voice.

"Come with me," he said.

"Where?"

"To find out what this key unlocks."

********

A/N

Thanks for continuing to follow Max and Lillie's story. I would love to hear your thoughts on this chapter. What do you think the key unlocks?