CHAPTER 25 - THE MYSTERY MAN

We all looked at each other nervously, not certain who was waiting for us behind the door. Max took the lead once more and I didn't let go of his hand as we walked slowly into the inner office. Chase followed right behind us and I was more than happy to be sandwiched in between. I felt safe with them surrounding me.

Much to our surprise, the office was empty when we walked in. The woman who was far too flirtatious asked us to wait for a moment and he would be right in.

We took the opportunity to soak up our surroundings. The rich, dark wood continued in that office as well and it looked so luxurious. A fireplace anchored the back wall surrounded by bookshelves filled with old books. A large chandelier hung in the center of the room partially blocking the painting over the fireplace.

Upon closer inspection, it was a vintage photograph of a man. I always wondered why no one ever smiled in old photos. Everyone always looked miserable and it was remarkable to me that no one ever thought to smile.

To the right of the room was a sitting area. Four high backed lounging chairs surrounded a small coffee table. To the left was a very large desk with even more chairs placed strategically in front of it. I wondered how many conversations had taken place in those chairs.

The windows were draped from floor to ceiling with green silk drapes and gold valances adorning them. The entire room looked like the vintage office of a billionaire from a time long ago. The architecture alone was breathtaking with ornate designs throughout the room.

We were all still gawking when one of the massive bookshelves opened like a door and a man stepped through it. I looked at Max and Chase to get a read on them. They both looked to be in a bit of shock.

Turning my attention back to the man entering the room I was taken aback by him. He seemed quite common in his looks but his demeanor and perfectly tailored suit gave him an air of importance.

No one was saying a word and it was growing more awkward by the second. The perfectly polished gentleman walked up to me and extended his hand to introduce himself. What he said next made it pretty clear why the guys had reacted that way when they first saw him. He introduced himself as Chase's father.

They were still silent, just staring and trying to convince themselves their eyes were not playing tricks on them. When Chase finally came to his senses he immediately addressed the man in front of us.

"Dad, what are you doing here? Did you leave that message for Max?"

His father looked at him with a cold expression.

"Why don't you all have a seat so we can discuss it. First of all, why did you bring Ms. Easton along with you? I thought I made it clear that just the two of you were to come here."

I was growing more and more uncomfortable. Max's chair was right next to mine so he reached over and grabbed my hand. I was so glad he did that because my nerves were getting the best of me. Somehow, every time he took my hand it was like magic. Just his touch was calming. When I heard him speak up my full attention was on him.

"I asked Lillie to be here and with all due respect Mr. West if that is a problem then we can just leave."

He looked at Max with the same cold stare.

"No need Maxwell, you have already involved her. I hope you realize if anything happens to her, her blood is on your hands."

My blood on his hands? What was he talking about? I knew that Max had told me I wasn't safe but I had no idea he was referring to someone actually killing me. My hand began to tremble and Max held it even tighter rubbing his thumb over mine to soothe me.

"I am aware of that, Mr. West. My father made it clear that anyone involved with me could never truly be safe."

"Well, now that we have that out of the way, let's get down to the business at hand," Mr. West responded.

"I think that would be for the best sir."

I was impressed with Max's control of the situation and it was honestly quite a turn on. I forced myself to push those thoughts aside, it wasn't the time or the place.

Chase was remaining incredibly quiet and I wished that I knew what was running through his mind. From what I had seen so far, there didn't seem to be any love lost between him and his father.

"It is my understanding that your father briefed you on the items he keeps secured," Mr. West continued.

"Yes," Max replied.

"I am also aware that was the only information he provided you with. That is why you are here today. You need to know the entire story but we felt it best if you were given the information in pieces. Knowing it all at once would have overwhelmed you. How are you acclimating to what your father told you?"

Chase and I looked at Max. He had revealed so little to me about his father's conversation with him. I felt like Chase knew more but only what Max wanted him to.

"I will start at the beginning. Chase's grandfather worked with your grandfather. I have worked by your father's side all of these years and now it is time for Chase to work alongside of you."

Chase growing agitated and it was becoming more and more noticeable.

"Mr. Livingston made his money on real estate and investing and you made your's building hotels. What do you mean the two of you worked together?" Chase inquired.

"Yes Chase, we did run those businesses but they were nothing more than a cover. Our money was family money but we have made millions working together."

"Max, you have now inherited all of your father's money and resources but as he warned you, it comes with a very steep price, perhaps one you are not willing to pay," Mr. West continued.

Chase stood up to start walking out of the room. He was so overwhelmed and I think he was desperate for a little fresh air.

"Sit down son, we are not finished here," his father demanded.

Chase shot him a look that was equal parts fear and frustration but took a seat as his father had instructed.

"Shall we continue?" his father asked.

We all shook our heads in agreement, desperate to find out what Mr. West was talking about.

"We had hoped that the two of you would not have to take over until you were much older. Your father's passing has sped up that timeline exponentially. Let me start by telling you both that there has not been a day of your lives that you have not been surrounded by security."

Max and Chase looked at each other completely and utterly confused.

"You would never have known it and that is how we wanted it to be. Just know that they have never been too far away. I have had my doubts that the two of you possess the ability to do what it takes to run this organization. That is why you both spent many years in private military boarding schools. We needed you to be as prepared as possible."

Max had never told me he spent part of his childhood in boarding schools. I couldn't help but imagine him there with no mother and a father that shipped him off. He must have been so lonely and scared. I leaned my head on his shoulder without even thinking. I just needed to be close to him.

Chase chimed in, "So let me get this straight. We have been watched our entire lives and you sent us to those places to prepare us for what we would have to handle as adults?"

"Yes Chase, that is exactly what we did. After they took the life of Max's mother we knew we would stop at nothing to ensure your survival." 

********

A/N

I hope you are enjoying Max and Lillie's journey. I would love to hear your thoughts and feedback. Were you expecting the "mystery man" to be Chase's father?