CHAPTER 11 - IS THERE SOMETHING IN THE WATER?

Somehow in the middle of my breakdown, I managed to ask Chase to meet me at the coffee shop on the corner by my apartment. I had the driver drop me off there and found a quiet table in the back. Sipping my favorite white chocolate mocha I waited patiently for him to arrive. I knew if anyone would be able to shed any light on what had just happened, it would be him. He knew Max better than anyone.

By the time he walked in I had pulled myself together the best that I could. I don't know why but the moment my eyes met his, I walked towards him and threw my arms around his neck.

I may have been composed before I saw him but with his arms around me, I found myself breaking down again. He sighed as he gently rubbed my back to comfort me.

"Hey, whatever it is, it's going to be okay, " he whispered in my ear.

When I was done blubbering like an idiot, I pulled away from him and took my seat once more. He found his across from me and I began telling him the sorted details of what had transpired that day.

"Damn, that's messed up. He has never really gotten over his mother. Even though he and his father have a love-hate relationship I am not sure what this will do to him," Chase admitted.

Just as I suspected, Chase would get it. He knew exactly what was running through my mind.

"That's what I am afraid of and I can't even help with him pushing me away like this."

Chase put his hand over mine and looked into my eyes as he reassured me.

"Lillie, he is lucky to have you. I don't know what is going on in that head of his but he will come around and when he does he will realize what he has in you."

I hoped with everything in me that he was right. Even though Max had been so cold to me I knew I would never be okay just standing on the sidelines while his heart was ripped out.

"What do you think his father told him?" I questioned.

"I don't know, Mr. Livingston is a pretty intense guy. Whatever he told him, it obviously shook him up pretty good."

I looked down at the table feeling hopeless. I was sure Chase would be able to shed some light on what was going on. He tilted my head up to look at him.

"Hey, he is going to come around, you just have to be patient. His world was just blown apart."

Just as those words left his lips I saw Piper walk into the coffee shop. She spotted me as well and walked over to our table. I noticed right away that something didn't seem quite right. She seemed nervous and antsy. That was so unlike her, Piper was always the carefree one.

I looked at her curiously. "Hey girl, long time no see. How have you been?"

"Good I guess, just busy," she said as she grasped one arm in front of her.

"Well you look great, how is the new boyfriend working out?"

She looked straight down at the floor and I found it odd that she wasn't making eye contact.

"He's great, things are going well." She said in a small voice.

I continued watching her cautiously wondering what was wrong with my friend and if there was something in the water making everyone act so strangely.

"This is Chase, by the way, he is Max's friend."

"Chase, this is my best friend Piper."

Chase stood up like the perfect gentlemen and shook her hand.

"It's a pleasure to finally meet one of Lillie's friends, and a lovely one at that," he said with a wink. Oh Chase, always the charmer.

She chatted with us for a few more minutes and then grabbed some coffee and hurried out of the shop. I made a mental note to investigate whatever was going on with her and turned my attention back to Chase.

His phone buzzed and I watched as he read the text. A look of concern filled his face as he stared at the words.

"I have to go, Lillie," he said sternly as he stood up and pushed his chair in.

"Wait, Chase, what's wrong? Is it Max?"

"I will see you later," he said as he planted a quick kiss on my forehead and rushed out of the shop.

I just sat there dumbfounded. Why would he just leave like that? After a few minutes, I was able to control my thoughts enough to get up and begin walking home.

I noticed that a dark sedan was parked outside as I left but didn't think much of it. Once I got back to the apartment I decided to take a long hot bath and try to destress from the day's events. My head felt like it was going to spin out of control and I needed to do something to quiet it.

About an hour later I finally emerged from my liquid retreat and decided to fix myself a sandwich. I went old school with peanut butter and jelly. Even though I was grown, I could still appreciate a perfectly prepared one.

I went to put the plate in the sink when I finished and couldn't help but gaze out onto the street from my kitchen window. As soon as I saw it, I gasped and dropped the plate.

The sedan from earlier was parked outside of my apartment.

*********

A/N

Alright guys, dying to hear your thought and opinions. What do you think Max's father told him and why is there a Sedan following Lillie? What do you think is up with Piper?