CHAPTER 7 - A DAY IN NEW PORT

It wasn't long before we were heading for New Port. I assumed we would just drive since it wasn't that far but to my surprise, we pulled up at a private airstrip. I was trying to hide the fact that I was a little scared. I had never been on a smaller plane before and the only thing I had ever heard about them was that they tend to crash easily.

Pushing down my fear, I tried to act like it didn't bother me. We all boarded and to my surprise, it wasn't crowded like I thought it would be. We all had leather seats and plenty of room to stretch out. A butler emerged and poured us all champagne. I was officially impressed. So that was the way rich people traveled? I think I could get used to it. The flight wasn't too long and we managed to fill the time with casual conversation. The champagne was doing its job and left us all relaxed by the time we landed.

The boys were their usual chatty selves but me and Chase's date just kept quiet and listened. I did learn her name, it was Grace and I thought it suited her well. She may not have been the sharpest tool in the shed but she was very graceful and equally as beautiful. I recalled my conversation with Chase and wondered if she could be the one. The chances of that were pretty low but you never know. Maybe he had finally found the girl of his dreams.

We checked into a swanky hotel and I looked around at every beautiful piece of art adorning the place. I was so far out of my element that I was beginning to feel awkwardly uncomfortable. Chase seemed to sense how out of place I felt and walked over to me while I was staring a piece of art. It was of a woman staring up a the sky with a look of sadness on her face. He put his arm around my shoulder.

"You know she is pretty but not nearly as beautiful as you."

I was so thankful for his sweet comment but equally alarmed at his statement. How does he always know exactly what I need? It was beginning to feel like he was my own little fairy, always watching to see when he might help.

"Thanks, Chase, you have no idea how much I needed that."

He turned to look into my eyes.

"A girl like you deserves to be told that every single day. "

Ugh, what was it about this guy? He always knew exactly what to say and when to say it. His words were so sweet and reassuring. When I was around him I always felt comfortable in my own skin. That was more than I could say for my time with Max. I still didn't have a clue how to read him.

A few minutes later we were settled into our rooms. Max booked us a luxury suite but there was still only one bed. As soon as I saw it, I raised an eyebrow at him. 

"Relax Lillie, I will be the perfect gentleman. We have to keep up appearances but there is a pull-out in the living room and I'll take it."

"Thanks," I said breathing a sigh of relief. I starting hanging up my clothes when he interrupted.

"You're going to need this one for today and this one for tonight."

"Where are we going?"

"I have to appear at a benefit for the children's hospital. It is my charity so I have to be there."

Okay, I have to admit my heart melted a little bit. I loved the fact that he worked to help children. I also wondered if that was his only redeemable quality.

We apparently didn't have long until the event started so I hurried and got dressed. When we finally arrived I was in awe once again. Everything was absolute perfection. No detail was spared and I wondered exactly how involved in it he was. I resolved to ask him more about it later.

We stayed for an auction, cocktail hour, and until Max took the stage to speak. I listened intently, hanging on his every word. He was the picture of poise and elegance and had an air of importance about himself. I could see the passion in his eyes. Ever since I learned that he was involved I had assumed that he only did it to keep his father off of his back. But being there in person and hearing his words as he spoke of the children, it was inspiring and further proved my assumption that there were two Max's and this one was gracious and full of love.

Watching him give his speech I couldn't fight back the thoughts of how handsome he was. Maybe I had been so busy pushing him away that I never stopped to get to know him.

The gala wasn't even over when he motioned for us to leave. Chase must have known what he had in mind because I saw his face light when he saw Max motioning for us. When I saw him grab his date and escort her out, I felt a tinge of jealousy. Even though she seemed very sweet, she just wasn't right for someone like him.

A town car was waiting just outside and we all climbed in. Our destination was still a secret so I had my eyes wide open, taking in every sight and trying to figure out where we were going. When I saw the lights of the Marina come in to view I was amazed. All of the boats were so beautiful with the lights bouncing off of the water. I looked up at Max with a smile on my face.

"So we are here to buy a yacht? I inquired.

"In time but for now we are going to have a little fun."

As we boarded the yacht I was blown away. It was gorgeous. Every surface was either leather or granite and it was also quite roomy. There were two bedrooms, a living room, and even a kitchen. I wasn't even surprised when I realized it had its own chef.

The butler brought out some champagne and we all raised our glasses to toast our quick getaway. When we walked out on the deck to get some air I noticed a table sitting in the middle of it adorned with candles. As we sat down the butler brought out the most delicious food I had ever tasted in my life. I wasn't sure what Max was up to but so far he was blowing me away.

When the night finally ended we were all a bit typsy. We headed back to the hotel and all anyone could do was giggle. I don't even remember what we thought was so funny.

When it finally came time to turn in for the night, Max was the perfect gentlemen just like he promised. Just before he drifted off, he finally told me that the yacht we were on was the one he was purchasing at his father's request. Geez, what type of money did these people have?

I couldn't sleep that night and found myself wandering out onto the balcony. Our balconies joined and I found Chase leaning against the rail. He seemed to be lost in thought and when I asked what was on his mind he told me that he was just hoping that Grace would be the one. He had decided that night that she wasn't.

"What type of girl are you looking for Chase?

"One like you."

*********

A/N

So what team are you on now, Max or Chase? I would love to hear your thoughts and appreciate you following their story.