CHAPTER 37 - A HAND COVERED MY MOUTH

As I lay with my cheek against his chest, his warm skin soothed me. I wrapped my arm around his waist and moved even closer to him, as close as I could get. His fingers began caressing me as they ran up my spine. Feeling his fingers against my skin made every hair on my body stand on end. Looking up at him, the moonlight illuminated his face. His lips hovered above mine as an invisible magnet drew us toward one another and breaking free was impossible. Finally, his lips crashed into mine until and we were lost in each other. Without warning, he pulled away, making my heart sink.

"Is this okay?" He asked. I breathed a sigh of relief. So, he stopped my heart out of fear of crossing some imaginary line?

"Max, I need you," I insisted.

He sat up, and his entire demeanor changed.

"I have wanted to be with you for so long now but when this happens, I need it to be for the right reasons."

He was making me want him more if it was even possible. I sat up next to him and wrapped my arms around his neck, leaning my forehead against his.

"Max, I want you too. All I have been able to think about is what it would be like to kiss you."

"Was it everything you imagined?" He asked.

"That kiss was even better than I imagined," I admitted. With those words, he grabbed me around my waist and flipped me over until his body was right next to mine.

"You are so beautiful," he whispered as his lips found mine once more.

The moments that followed transported me to a whole other universe. Our bodies connected on such a level that we intertwined our souls. After, he laid his head on my chest and I started running my fingers through his hair.

"I love you, Lillie," I heard him whisper and my heart stopped beating. He didn't look at me, he seemed fearful of what I might or might not say. Pausing, I wanted to contemplate my response. Returning his affection would change things forever.

"I'm in love with you too," I finally whispered back.

He leaned up and kissed me so passionately; it felt like an out-of-body experience. His lips were telling me just how much he had longed to hear those words.

"I'm never letting you go," he said as his lips left mine.

"I never want you to," I admitted. As soon as those words escaped me, I realized that I had shown all of my cards. I lay my heart bare and felt as if I was standing naked for the entire world to see. I wasn't used to being vulnerable, but for him I was. If I am being honest, I am not sure I had a choice. I had completely and helplessly fallen in love with Max. The next morning, I woke up on his chest.

"Good morning, beautiful," he said.

As I lay there, insecurities crept in and it didn't take long until I could not control them. Everything was so perfect the night before, but maybe it was too perfect. Did I really deserve something so amazing?

"Max?" I said in a small voice. "Was last night okay?"

He tilted my head to look at him.

"How can you even ask that?"

"I don't know, it's just that you have been with a million girls. They were probably a lot prettier and much more experienced."

"Okay, let's get something straight," he said in a very serious tone. "Last night was the best night of my life. There is no one in my past that could even come close to comparing to what I have with you."

"Do you mean that?" I asked, still desperate for reassurance.

His fingers found my cheek as he peered straight into my eyes.

"Lillie, you are the only woman I have ever loved. I don't know what I was doing before, but I feel like my life started with you. You have taught me so much about myself and last night when I had you in my arms, I never wanted to let you go. I am not even sure I believed that there was a God, but now I know there is because he had to create you just for me. "

That was it. He never had to say another word. Somehow, he had quieted the voices in my head telling me I wasn't enough. He felt the same way I did, and it was as if he was talking directly to my heart.

I'm not sure how, but we pulled ourselves away from one another and get ready for the day. It was hard, I would have happily stayed in bed with him all day.

When we got downstairs, Chase was in the living room going over some paperwork. Apparently, his father had officially left town, and he was wearing the stress all over his face. The "family business" now rested solely on his and Max's shoulders, and I remember thinking the weight of that hung heavy in the air.

Max began telling him about what happened to us, and I could see Chase growing more agitated by the minute. He walked over to me and took me by my shoulders.

"Are you okay?" He questioned.

"Yes, I am fine, Chase. It was scary, but I am okay."

I could see Max's face out of the corner of my eye. Seeing Chase's hands on me was killing him, but he was doing his best to fight it.

Next, Chase turned his attention to Max. He mentioned how he had been at Piper's the night before and should have told him what was going on.

"Look, man, I wasn't trying to keep you in the dark. Things were just a little tense last night. We almost lost our lives," Max explained.

"Well, you were being selfish. It's not just you two in this. There are three of us and Piper too since she has associated with us."

I could see the regret on Max's face.

"Your right, I'm sorry. I wasn't thinking straight," he admitted.

"I am not leaving her in that apartment alone. She is moving in here with us," Chase was practically shouting.

Max threw his hands in the air, "Fine man, you're not getting an argument from me. After what happened last night, I think that's probably for the best."

Chase didn't reply, he just started walking toward the door.

"Wait, I am going with you," I insisted.

Max shot me a look, but I didn't care. Piper was my friend, and we had involved her in our mess. The least I could do was be there for her.

"Fine," Chase said as he walked out the door and I followed. Max was right behind me, he wasn't letting me out of his sight.

The drive to her house was a little tense with Chase still agitated with Max. I was glad there were two guards with us. The last thing we needed was a repeat of what happened the night before.

When we pulled up in front of the apartment Chase got out but I stopped him insisting that I go alone. I wanted to be the one to explain everything to her. She would need a little time to process it all, and she didn't need an audience.

They finally agreed but insisted that one guard escort me. That was fine, I felt safer that way, anyway. We rode up the elevator with me reciting the speech I would give to Piper. I was trying to find the right words to tell her.

When we reached her apartment, I knocked, and the guard told me he would wait just outside for us. When the door opened, Piper welcomed me in. But something didn't seem right. Her body was tense, and she had a look of fear in her eyes.

As soon as the door shut behind us, I felt a hand come from behind me and cover my mouth. 

********

A/N

Well, last nights chapter was a little shorter so I made this one a little longer. I really appreciate you continuing to follow Lillie and Max's story and would love to hear your thoughts. What do you think is going to happen to Lillie and Piper?