CHAPTER 4 - TODAY WAS ENLIGHTENING

He gave me a curious look but relented.

"Sure, why not? Lead the way, madam."

That was more like it. "He needs to treat me like that more often," I thought to myself.

When we pulled in front of the diner that felt more like a second home to me, a warm smile filled my face. I had spent so many hours working there and just hanging out with Piper after hours. The food wasn't half bad but it was cheap and greasy.

We found a booth in the back where it was a bit quieter. He sat with his back to the wall and had a full view of the diner. Needless to say, the guests who frequented there were the definition of characters. There was really no telling what you might see on any given day.

Every time someone new would walk in Max's eyes would grow a little wider. The facial expressions he was making were absolutely priceless. It was probably the first time in his entire life he had been emersed in real, down to earth people.

I ordered for him because he clearly was not up to speed on the lingo. He had no idea was smothered, covered, or stacked meant. When the waitress delivered our meals he just stared at his plate as if he had never seen food before.

"Eat up," I insisted.

He gave me a hesitant look and then took a bite of hash browns dripping with onions, cheese, and of course a little grease. When it entered his mouth it took him a minute. He just sort of rolled it around like it was a foreign object. I couldn't contain my amusement and busted out laughing which made him laugh. Before long we were both hysterical. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would be laughing about anything with Max.

I had to admit, it was kind of nice to see him relax a little and have fun. A few bites in and he was scarfing the food in. I guess when you have been raised on nothing but hummus and plant-based meat a little bacon, eggs, and hash browns tasted pretty good.

As he attacked the savory goodness on his plate, he started talking. To my surprise, he was uncommonly candid. I wasn't used to getting more than two words at a time for him so I admittedly found it fascinating.

It wasn't lost on either of us that every time the waitress refilled our drinks she gave Max a little wink. When she strolled off shaking her hips from side to side he took the opportunity to stare. I could tell he was doing it to annoy me but it honestly did not bother me at all. I was used to him being a jerk.

I learned a lot more about him that day. His mother died from a car crash when he was eight. She lived for three days after the crash and he and his dad had a chance to say goodbye to her. She was a wonderful mother to him and he took her death really hard. His father did as well and had never really gotten over her. That's why he had never remarried.

What he was saying was really heavy and I didn't expect him to get into something so personal so fast. What fascinated me was that while he was recounting such a tragic event he seemed very matter of fact about it. I would have thought something like that would have stirred up a ton of emotions but he discussed it like he was talking about his little league baseball game.

I had never really experienced anything like that and didn't know what to think of it. It definitely kept me on my heels trying to figure him out. You would think after sharing such a personal experience I would have felt like I knew him better. The odd thing was that I didn't. I felt like he was even more of a mystery than before.

When the waitress brought the check, he threw down his credit card and continued talking. By the time she returned with the receipt, he realized that he had been doing most of the talking. He, of course, had to add in a "thank you doll," before she walked off. She lit up like a Christmas tree and you could tell that all she saw was his good looks and money.

"You have hardly said a word, "he said after he watched the waitress walk-off for the last time.

"Well, you know, I am just the maid. There really isn't much to tell."

He rolled his eyes and seemed to realize that I was just joking as we got up and headed for the car. I noticed that he was on his phone a lot as we were driving.

"Texting one of your many women?" I questioned.

He looked up at me with one eyebrow raised.

"No, I was texting Chase a photo of the diner."

I hadn't even seen him taking any photos.

"Why?" I questioned.

"'I just found it interesting."

Sure he did!

"You mean you wanted to make fun of it!"

"No, I have never been in a place like that and neither has he. I found it enlightening."

I highly doubted he was being honest. I mean this was coming from a guy who had been as cold as a statue since the day I met him.

When we pulled up in front of my apartment I was still thinking about our conversation. I had no idea how he read my silence or if he even cared. I gathered my purse and said goodbye as I stepped out of the car. Just before I shut the door he called my name.

Curious, I turned back around.

"Yeah?"

"Thanks for today." 

**********

A/N

I hope you enjoyed this chapter and would love to hear your thoughts.