CHAPTER 30 - MY ENTIRE BODY SHUDDERED

The severity of what he said was not lost on any of us. Our new life had finally become a reality and it was sobering. None of us would ever be the same and we knew it. It was the strangest thing really. We were all aware of what was going on but somehow it had not really sunk in until that moment.

We all sat silent for a few minutes just staring at each other trying to figure out what we should do next.

"Look, maybe we should just go home and try and get some rest," Max suggested.

"No, no way. I am not leaving her in the condition she is in," Chase insisted.

The man just continued to amaze me, with the care he showed Piper. He certainly didn't have to. It wasn't like he had known her long or that they were very close. He just had the best heart.

"Calm down man, it's fine. Lillie and I will head home and be back in the morning to check on Piper." Chase agreed and Max and I said goodbye and headed out.

The "driver" was waiting on us downstairs. When we got into the car we were both nervous. The thought that he had just killed a man was front and center in our minds.

Max was hiding it incredibly well and I noticed that for the first time he addressed him by name. His name was Paul. I had only heard them call him the "driver" before so it was interesting to hear him addressed by his actual name.

It didn't escape me that Max's posture was stiff. He was on edge and trying to assert his authority but I had the feeling he was completely freaking out.

Paul was mostly silent as he returned us to the mansion which made it all the more creepy. When we walked inside we had a new appreciation for our surroundings. Knowing that all of the hired hands were just like Paul was utterly unsettling.

I followed Max into his father's office and watched as he pushed a secret button under the desk. A large picture opened up revealing a variety of guns. Max removed one and shoved it in his waistband.

"What are you doing?" I asked him.

"Suddenly, I don't feel very safe around here." He admitted. I wasn't arguing that point, I didn't either.

"Do you even know how to use that?"

"Yeah, I spent most of my childhood in military school. I can clean it in my sleep and hit a target dead center."

I pushed him for details on why he spent so much time in military school. He explained that he along with Chase were sent there. It happened not too long after his mother died and my heart broke a little more for him. Thinking back it made sense what Chase's father said about preparing them for this life.

The night had brought so many shocking revelations and we were beyond exhausted. I followed Max upstairs completely aware that the boy who used to be nothing more than a playboy was now concealing a gun.

Once we were upstairs I sat on the side of the bed in a daze. I was trying desperately to absorb everything that had happened but my mind didn't want to believe any of it. Max double-locked the door and came to sit beside me.

His touch was everything at that moment. I needed to feel the comfort of his touch. He grabbed my hand but kept his gaze straight ahead just like mine.

"Are you okay?" He asked softly.

"Not really," I said as I realized I couldn't stop my hands from shaking.

"Me either but I want you to know that I am going to protect you. You didn't ask for any of this."

"I know," I honestly admitted.

Neither of us could pull ourselves out of the daze we were in. I noticed that he laid down on the bed.

"Come here," he said with his arms open towards me.

I didn't hesitate to crawl into them and melt into his chest. His arms enveloped me and I couldn't hold back my tears. The night had taken its toll and my nerves had gotten the best of me. His arms closed around my waist and pulled me to him and the truth was I couldn't get close enough.

"I'm sorry my dad got you into this mess," he whispered.

"I'm not," I told him, "because I would never have really known you."

When I said those words, I felt his lips kiss my cheek and my entire body shuddered under his touch.  

**********

A/N

Thanks for continuing to follow Max and Lillie's story. I hope you are enjoying it so far and would love to hear your feedback.