CHAPTER 49 - THE PHONE CALL

We knew we were being watched constantly so getting the information out of the house would not be easy. That night, we helped Max box everything up securely and the next morning a floral truck pulled up to the back entrance.

The agents had arranged for it to deceive prying eyes. They even had the driver bring out some arrangements from the front of his truck. With it parked securely against the unloading area in the back of the mansion, we could load the items on the truck discreetly.

Max kept a few small sentimental items of his mothers, but the rest became the property of the FBI. We wouldn't be able to take much with us, so he was careful in choosing the things that would help him remember her.

All the furniture would stay in place for the women's shelter. Max's kind gesture still amazed me. While we were taking a break, I let him know how proud I was of him.

"You did a good thing leaving this to women and children in need," I told him.

"After I saw what happened to Piper, I figured it was the least I could do. Some women who go through that every day and it makes me happy to think they will have a home here."

Piper's face lit up when he said that. Knowing she was his inspiration brought a smile to her face. Chase pulled her to him and kissed her on the forehead. It made him happy too.

"Well, I think you're pretty special, Mr. Livingston. You have come a long way from that spoiled little rich boy," I joked.

I knew my words would have consequences, but that what I was hoping for. A little fun in insanity's midst was fine by me.

Max walked toward me with a sense of mission and picked me up, throwing me over his shoulder.

"So I was a spoiled little rich boy, ha?"

"Yes," I said, fighting back laughter.

Piper and Chase looked on as he walked me out toward the pool. I was shouting in protest, demanding that he put me down. To my dismay, he did not relent. He walked right up to the pool and attempted to throw me in.

As I cleared his shoulders, I hung on for dear life. The momentum he used to propel me towards the pool was his demise. He crashed into the pool right behind me. When we came up for air, we could hear our so-calledfriends howling with laughter. Max shot me a mischievous look and splashed water on my face.

"It looks like I need to put you over my knee next time," he teased.

"You wouldn't!"

"Wouldn't I?" He teased.

It seemed I had met my match. Teasing Max came with more consequences than I had intended, and I loved every minute.

After we dragged our wet bodies out of the pool and changed, we continued loading the truck. By the time we finished, we were all exhausted. The guys were not used to manual labor, and it had been a while for me and Piper.

We all had a quick dinner and showered before the call from James. He was calling to give us our next steps, and we were all anxious.

The best plan was to meet in the empty room next to the information vault. It was secure and not even the Security team had access to that area. We would be the only ones privy to the call.

Standing in the cold room with stone walls felt so eerie. Not only did the room itself chill me, but contemplating what we were about to do sent a shiver down my spine.

Max was leaning against the wall, staring at his mother's photo as we waited. He had a myriad of emotions showing on his face, and I tried to put myself in his shoes. He was giving up a life of luxury and everything he had ever known. His mother and father were dead and all he had left was us. As I continued contemplating what he was feeling, my heart grew heavy. Even though he was trying to hide it, I knew he was hurting on so many levels.

I walked over to him and leaned my body against his, giving him a sweet kiss. As I laid my head on his chest and wrapped my arms around him he asked, "What was that for?"

Looking up at him, I stared into those gorgeous eyes of his. "I just wanted to remind you I am right here with you," I said as I kissed his warm lips.

He wrapped his arms around me and pulled me to him. "How do you do that?"

"What?" I asked.

"Peer into my soul without me saying a single word?"

My eyes danced as I glared at him and took in his sweet words.

"I think somewhere along the way, our souls just connected. I know yours as well as I do my own," I said as he pulled me in once more and pressed his lips to my forehead.

"I love you," he whispered.

Before he even finished speaking his phone rang, and we all stood at attention. We were about to find out how we would "die," and our new lives would start. 

********

A/N 

Thanks for continuing to follow Max and Lillie's journey. It is getting close to the end and I just love these two. The way they have gone from near enemies to loving each other so deeply warms my heart.