CHAPTER 8 - A GLIMPSE BEHIND THE WALL

I just stared at him for a moment, at beautiful boy that was standing before me looking into my eyes. His words confused me. How could someone like him ever possibly want someone like me?

"Your Chase West you can get any girl you want," I said trying to remind myself to breathe.

"Yeah but they are all just shells, there's no substance there. Why is it that the one thing you want the most is always just out of reach?"

I tried to string a few words together so I could respond. I was melting under his gaze and I knew if I stayed there much longer I would not be able to break myself from his spell.

"I guess that's just life's cruel lesson. Sometimes it gives us what we need but it rarely gives us what we want."

As soon as the last word left my lips I hurried inside. I had to put some distance between us. My mouth was parched and in desperate need of water so I headed for the kitchen trying to stay as quiet as possible. I didn't want to wake Max.

Easing the fridge door open I grabbed a bottle of water and turned to head back to the room. Just before I reached the bedroom door, I heard a noise and turned around to find Max sitting on the sofa.

"It looked like you and Chase were in a deep conversation out there," he said in a low tone. He sounded exhausted as he ran his hand through his hair.

"Yeah, I guess we were."

"People aren't always what they seem Lillie."

I hesitated for a moment taking in what he said before I opened the door to the room. I wasn't sure how to respond so I didn't.

That night I laid awake just staring at the ceiling replaying Max's words. What was he trying to tell me? Was Chase not who he seemed to be? Was he referring to himself? The man was an absolute mystery and I was beginning to wonder if I would ever know who he really was.

The next morning I woke to muffled noises coming from the living room. For a few minutes, I just laid there trying to make out the words but I couldn't. I decided to get up and tiptoe to the door. Pressing my ear against it I struggled to hear but was finally able to make out a few words.

It seemed to be an argument and I was fairly certain it was about me. Max wasn't happy about Chase spending time with me but Chase didn't seem to care what he thought. I can't say I wasn't pleased to hear him say that. I had always been fond of Chase but I was growing fonder of him by the day.

When I heard Chase leave I tiptoed back to my bed and pretended like I was still asleep. I could hear Max's footsteps coming towards the door. He cracked igt and called my name but I didn't answer so he came closer, gently shaking my shoulder.

"Lillie, are you awake?"

Stretching my arms out I did my best impersonation of someone who was just waking from a blissful sleep.

"Yeah, what's up?" I asked in a fake groggy voice.

"I thought we could go get some breakfast."

Honestly, breakfast sounded amazing.

"Is everyone going?

"No, just the two of us if that's okay."

I wasn't really sure how I felt about it but at least I could get some food in my stomach.

"Sure, just give me a few minutes."

I threw on one of the ridiculous yuppy outfits he packed for me. Blue capris, white boat shoes, and a white and blue striped top finished off with a scarf. I looked in the mirror and wanted to barf. I would have much rather been wearing my old jeans and a t-shirt.

We walked in the crisp morning air to a little cafe and Max chose a seat outside for us. I wasn't exactly complaining, the view was amazing. Boats filled the harbor and the streets were full of people. I loved to people watch. I really think you learn so much about the world that way.

He ordered for us which normally would have annoyed me but I was so hungry I really didn't care. Just bring on the food was all that I could think. Once I had a few strips of bacon in my system I was able to focus a bit more. I began to notice something was off with Max. He seemed to be upset about something but I had no idea what.

"Penny of your thoughts?" I asked trying to figure out what was going on.

"I hate this day, I dread it every year. I always tell myself I will do better this time around but I never do."

"What's so important about this day?" I asked.

He looked down at his plate and his cheeks became flushed. Max was fighting back tears.

"This is the anniversary of my mother's death. Odd that people call it that. Anniversaries are to be celebrated but all I want to do is forget about that day and everything that happened."

I had no idea what he had been going through. He always tried so hard to put on his tough, cocky exterior. At that moment, his walls were down and the Max I was seeing was the real one. The little boy who still desperately missed his mother and the man who wanted to be comforted but didn't know how to ask for it.

I got up from my chair and took a seat next to him. He gave me an odd look but behind those gorgeous eyes of his, I could see him begging to be comforted. Putting all of my preconceived notions behind me, I wrapped my arms around Max and braced myself for his reaction. Even if he acted like he hated it, I still had to try.

He didn't let go though, he leaned in closer until he was embracing me back and rested his head on my shoulder. When I felt his body shaking my heart broke for him. Next came small almost incoherent sobs and I held him even tighter. I am not sure how long we stayed like that but there was no way I could let him go until I felt like he was going to be okay. When he finally pulled away he took my hands in his.

"Thank you," he said in a small voice.

"Max, have you ever talked to anyone about this?"

"No," he confided.

"Well, you can talk to me," I reassured him.

He gave me another hug and I knew he  was grateful. I felt so sad for him, having to deal with this year after year all by himself. I could just see him sitting in his room as a little boy sobbing with no one to comfort him.

" I want to take you somewhere," he said. It was clear that he was trying to change the subject because things were getting a little too heavy.

"Okay," I replied and just like that he was pushing his pain down once again. 

**********

A/N 

Did this change your opinion of Max? Do you think he is the arrogant jerk he shows to the world or that it is just a mask?