CHAPTER 45 - YOU HAVE MY BLESSING

Max woke me from my screams three times more. When morning arrived, I was grateful it was over. If closing my eyes meant seeing them, then I would keep them open as long as I could.

Stumbling into the living room like a zombie, my eyes went to Piper who was sitting on the couch. It was so good to see her up and about. I guess rest, fluids, and a lot of tender loving care from Chase had done wonders for her.

When I looked in her eyes, I saw a kindred spirit. We were both haunted, and that was a bond that no one could ever break. As soon as I walked towards her, she started crying but I continued on. I walked right up to her and put my arms around her.

She snuggled her face into my neck and sobbed, and I let her. What we had been through was horrific, but we would get through it together. When she pulled away she looked at me, taking in every mark they had left on me and I did the same.

"They didn't break us," she finally said, and I smiled.

"They couldn't, we are two tough chicks," I replied and saw a sparkle in her eye for the first time since they took us.

We would be just fine. We had each other and two amazing men. If we could all just figure out how to get out of the mess their parents created, we might have a shot at normal lives.

Max had apparently ordered breakfast while we were attempting to sleep because they delivered a chef-prepared feast. They attempted to set it up in the dining room, but he told them the living room would be just fine. It made me smile to think he was shedding all of his elitist tendencies. Eating in the living room seemed perfect to me.

It didn't take long for us to devour the food as if we hadn't eaten in months. My stomach growled when I saw it, but I didn't even realize I was hungry until I smelled the bacon and pancakes.

It brought me so much joy to see Piper eating. Under normal circumstances, she ate like a bird, but at that moment her body needed nourishment so it could heal. I thought she would put up a fight, but she surprised me.

The guys were hungry too. They ate like two hungry bears. The emotional toll had taken a lot out of them too.

Every time I looked over at Chase, he was staring at Piper. I knew he was into her before everything went down, but suddenly, there was no mistaking it. Even though I hadn't known him as long as Max, I knew how he was with women. Not a single one caught his attention, but she had captivated him.

After breakfast, she went to get a quick shower and Max met with the security team. They left Chase and me alone, so he came over to sit next to me.

"You doing okay, buddy?" He asked as he tucked my hair behind my ear.

"Much better than yesterday, thanks to you guys."

"Don't give us any credit Lillie, if it wasn't for us neither of you would have been in that mess to begin with." He was wearing the same guilt as Max.

"Do I have to pound this into your head too?" I asked. "You guys did not ask for this, they forced it on you and there was no way you could have known what you were getting into."

He rubbed the back of his neck, nervously. "Maybe, but I will never forgive myself for what they did to you and Piper."

"Chase, there is nothing to forgive, it was no one's fault. I do want to talk to you about Piper though."

"What about her?"

"I see the way you look at her. You, Chase West, are absolutely smitten."

His cheeks turned crimson as he looked at me with questioning eyes. "Is it that obvious?"

"Oh yeah," I said with a smile.

"How do you feel about it?" he asked as his eyes shifted away from me.

"Are you looking for my approval?" I asked.

"Yeah, I guess I am."

It was sweet of him to think of me, but I understood why. I had always thought we shared a very real connection and there was no doubt he felt it too.

"You have it," I said with a smile.

He pulled me to him, and as he embraced me Max walked in. The look on his face was disconcerting.

"What are you two doing?" He questioned.

Chase let me go, looking up to meet his disapproving gaze. "Lillie was just giving me her blessing about Piper," he said and Max's face relaxed. I knew somewhere inside he was breathing a sigh of relief.

"Well, if you two are finished, I think we should discuss our options," Max said.

I looked at him curiously as Piper walked into the room.

"Are you sure you want us here for this?" I asked him.

"You two nearly lost your lives, your opinions matter just as much as ours," he said.

It meant so much that he thought enough of us to include us in the decision-making process. He poured us all a drink as everyone took a seat.

"I think we are going to need this," he said as he handed one to each of us. 

********

A/N

Thanks for continuing to follow their journey. I am so happy that Lille finally let go of Chase. She had already given her heart to Max but he needed to know that she was truly his.