CHAPTER 14 - THE FILE

I had no idea who it was but I was scared out of my mind. If it had been Max, he probably wouldn't have bothered to knock.

Tiptoeing to the door I whispered, "Who is it?"

It was so late and I didn't want to wake the entire house.

"Chase," I heard from the other side of the door and breathed a sigh of relief.

I slowly opened it trying not to make too much noise and motioned for him to come in. He followed close behind me as I returned to my bed and sat on top of it. He sat on down too and couldn't wipe the smile off of his face.

"I'm glad you agreed to come," he said.

"Well, I didn't feel like I had a choice, especially with someone following me to my apartment."

"I am sorry about that Lillie, you must have been scared out of your mind."

"I was, trust me."

How did this guy become so sweet? He was an absolute angel and I couldn't understand how some girl had not locked him down yet. I also knew he had to have some information about what was going on.

"Chase, do you know what's going on? You must if you moved in here too."

He had the saddest look on his face when I asked him that. It looked like he was fighting with some inner demons and not sure how much he could reveal.

"Not everything. I know that some bad stuff went down with his father and it has now spilled over into Max's life. I also know that he is going to need us over the coming weeks with his father's illness."

Just like I thought, he wasn't going to tell me everything.

"So that's all I get? Some vague answer?"

He looked so sad like he was betraying his own conscience.

"Sorry Lillie, I have told you everything I can. Just know that you are safe here. Max and I will make sure nothing happens to you."

I couldn't help myself. I leaned across the bed and gave him the biggest hug. I'm sure I held on a little longer than I should have.

"Hey, what's this for?" He asked.

"Just for being you. You always look out for me."

When I pulled away from him he responded, "That's because you're so special, Lillie."

It was at that moment that I noticed the door had opened and Max was standing in the doorway watching us.

"What are you doing here Chase?" He demanded to know.

"I just came to say goodnight to Lille and tell her how glad I am that she's here."

"Well don't you think it's time you head to bed yourself and let her get some rest?"

Chase shot me a look and we both knew that Max wasn't very happy about our late night chat. I watched as Chase got up and left the room. Max shut the door behind him as soon as he cleared the doorway.

I snuggled back into bed and pulled the covers up thinking that I was about to get an ear full from Max. I wasn't even sure why he cared, it wasn't like he had any real interest in me in that way. He walked toward my bed and took a seat just next to me.

"Is everything okay?" He inquired.

"Yeah, I am just a little creeped out in this huge house all alone," I admitted.

"You're safe here Lillie, we have guards posted everywhere and the best security system money can buy."

He was trying to comfort me. I guess I was a lucky girl to have two guys so concerned about my well being.