CHAPTER 5 - A LITTLE DINNER, A LITTLE DANCING

I hadn't seen Max for a couple of days. My time was filled with learning to act like a proper lady which I had to admit that I really did need. At least they were skills I could use even after our arrangement was over. 

Friday morning he finally called to inform me that we would be going out for a dinner and Chase would be joining us with a date. It didn't seem like official business so I figured he was just testing me to see if I was presentable enough for a real event.

It was my first opportunity to make him regret the day he ever referred to me as "just the maid." I rummaged through the clothes his father bought for me. There were so many that it was hard to choose but I settled on a red dress with a very high slit. 

When I was done I finished off with a ridiculously high pair of heels and took a look in the mirror. I just had to stand there for a moment. I wasn't sure who the girl in the reflection was but she sure didn't look like me.

I was still staring in disbelief when the doorbell rang. I hurriedly grabbed a clutch and threw a few things in it before I headed for the door. When I finally opened it, Max was on the other side and looked so handsome in his suit. It took less than a second for his eyes to run the length of my body and back up again.

"Wow, Lillie you look great," he finally said. I don't know why but I was embarrassed. I wasn't used to being dressed up and people staring at me.

"Thanks," was all I could manage to utter as we started walking toward the car.

Once inside I was face to face with Chase and his date. She was stunning and suddenly made me feel underdressed and outclassed. I wondered if he had been dating her long but then remembered it was Chase for Pete's sake. He probably wouldn't remember her name by tomorrow afternoon. It was unfortunate because if a girl could ever hold his attention long enough they would find out how absolutely amazing he was.

His face lit up when he saw me and his mouth just sorted of fell open for a second. "Lillie, wow, you're beautiful," he said. Max gave him a look of death and he turned his attention back to his date. I thought my heart was going to melt. I had been called a lot of things in my life but no-one had ever been momentarily stunned by my beauty. I absolutely adored him. He had always been so kind to me, even when he didn't have to be.

We dined that night in a super luxurious French restaurant. When we walked in it was my mouth that was gaping open. It felt like when you were a kid and you would press your face up to a pretty store window, just wishing you could be inside. I was finally getting a peek inside that world and it was marvelous.

The food was a bit much for my taste but I forced it down. I had no idea what they were paying for us to dine there but I had a feeling it was quite costly.

A band was playing in the background while we dined and a few people were dancing. I remember just staring at them from time to time because it all looked so beautiful, almost like a fairy tale.

By the time we were done eating we had finished off several bottles of wine and we were all relaxed and enjoying each other's company. There is something I thought I would never say, that I was enjoying Max's company. He was different that night, he wasn't so guarded. I was getting the feeling there were two Max's, the pretentious ass that he showed the world and the real one who wasn't half bad.

When he stood up and extended his hand to me I nearly spat my wine out. Was he kidding? He clearly had never seen me dance. I looked ridiculous when I attempted to dance. I shook my head no and he shot me a curious look.

"Come on Lillie, blow off a little steam," he insisted.

"I don't think so Max, I am not a good dancer."

"There's no such thing as a bad dancer, you just haven't had the right partner."

His hand was still extended and I was starting to feel bad for the guy leaving him hanging like that. I closed my eyes and told myself I was insane for doing this.

"Alright, alright," I said as I reluctantly as I got up from my chair and followed him to the floor. Chase and his date were right behind us. Once we were all on the dance floor, Max pulled me close to him.

"Just follow me," he said with confidence. 

I was using every ounce of my brainpower to try and do just that. A few minutes later I was surprised to find that he was right, I was dancing. It was getting harder and harder to fight the smile that was trying to find its way to my lips.

It felt odd at first being that close to him, but a few songs in and I was getting quite comfortable. I couldn't help but notice Chase watching me out of the corner of my eye. He was a good dancer in his own right and I was thinking about how lucky his date was when he left her and walked over to us.

"Can I cut in?" He asked Max.

You could tell he didn't really want to let him but he reluctantly agreed. Max started dancing with his date but had a look of annoyance on his face.

Chase took my hand in his and pulled me close to him. It felt comfortable with him right away and I certainly wasn't complaining. As far as I was concerned, he could cut in any time.

"You are so gorgeous," he said as he was staring directly into my eyes. 

I was unable to form words for a moment and when I finally gained control of my senses I attempted to string a few together.

"Thanks, your date is very pretty," I said trying to change the subject.

"She'll do for tonight."

I slapped his shoulder, "Chase, that's horrible!"

"What? She just isn't the one. When that person comes along then it will count."

I just shook my head. I wasn't sure how to reply to that comment.

Just before the song ended he dipped me and I think my heart hit the floor. Who does that any more? I mean that is something you see in old movies. Where did this guy come from? He was handsome, sweet, and he was a dipper. I didn't know guys like that still existed.

When we all returned to our table we decided to finish off the last bottle of wine before we left.

"You looked pretty comfortable out there with Chase," Max leaned in to say.

"Yeah, he is a really great dancer, he even dipped me," I responded much to his disappointment.

Was Max actually jealous? 

*********

Thanks so much for continuing to follow Max and Lillie's story. I would love to hear your thoughts and comments. What do you think of Chase so far?