CHAPTER 13 - THE SPOOKY OLD MANSION

I stayed quiet and waited with bated breath, desperate to hear his explanation. He ran his hand through his hair as worry seemed to fill his face.

"The truth is, I cannot tell you everything my father said. Maybe one day I will be able to but not now."

So that was what he had to say? I wasn't letting him off that easy.

"Did you text Chase today?"

He hesitated for a moment before he confirmed that it was him that sent Chase running out of the diner.

"So, he gets to be enlightened but I am left in the dark? That's how it's going to be?"

Max put his hand on the top of my leg. Even though my frustration with him was building, I was hyper-aware of where he was touching me. He had never touched me like that before. I don't know why but it felt so intimate considering the nature of our relationship.

I watched his brow furrow as he responded to my question. "It's not like that Lillie. I wish I could tell you. Honestly, there's nothing I want more."

"Then why don't you?"

"Because what he told me is something that's better-kept secret."

I was growing weary of our conversation that was going nowhere. If he wanted to tell me, he could.

"There is something I want to talk to you about though. I want you to move to my father's house with me. Chase is coming too. It will be mine soon anyway and this way I can keep an eye on dad and .."

"And what Max, finish that sentence."

"I literally can't but it is important to me that you come there with me."

I looked at him like he had lost his mind.

"So you just waltz in here ignoring the fact that I have a stalker on the street, tell me absolutely nothing and then ask me to move in with you."

He scratched his neck and I could tell that his tension was building as well.

"That's just it Lillie, I need you with me so I can keep you safe."

"Safe from what?"

"You know I cannot tell you that but we are involved now and this thing affects you too."

Okay, I had to admit that he was freaking me out.

"Is that who those people are outside? Are they here to hurt me?"

"No, they are here for your protection. I'm sorry they weren't more discreet. The intent was not to scare you."

I just stood up and paced around the room for a minute trying to process everything he was telling me. At that point, I was so confused that I felt like my head was going to explode. He was telling me everything and nothing all at once. If I was in trouble, I had the right to know why. Was he even telling me the truth or was this one of his juvenile games? There was one way to find out.

"I don't think so Max, I like my apartment. Besides, you are paying me well enough that if I wanted to move, I would. Staying here is allowing me to save money and that money will help me start a new life one day."

Max's expression changed from desperate to angry with one response.

"This is not an option Lillie. You are not safe, do you understand that? You are coming with me right now and that is final!"

He was beginning to shout and I wasn't just going to let him talk to me like that. My mother may have been a horrible one but she taught me to stick up for myself.