CHAPTER 26 - THE BUSINESS

When Mr. West mentioned the death of Max's mother, he squeezed my hand and I could see his jaw tighten. The cold-hearted man in front of us clearly didn't care that he was inflicting pain on him.

I looked back at Mr. West with piercing eyes. He may have been intimidating but if he intended on hurting Max, he was going to have to deal with me. I wasn't exactly sure at what point I became so territorial over Max. At that moment though, I wanted to claw the man's eyes out for daring to mention his mother.

"The protection didn't stop there," he continued. "Every staff member employed at your father's mansion are members of a highly skilled security force."

Max smirked at Mr. West.

"So you are telling me that sweet Ms. Emma who cooks my breakfast each morning is some sort to hired hand that would die to protect me?"

"Yes," Mr. West confirmed.

"And the Butler, he is in on it too?"

Max was still smirking, he didn't believe a word the man was saying. Rather than replying to his question, Mr. West began opening file folders and placing them on the table in front of us. Each file had a photo of a staff member along with their profiles and the areas they specialized in.

We each picked up a file and began reading it. Every detail was listed, the people we had been living with were trained killers in disguise. The knowledge of that left us all speechless.

"Do I have your attention now?" Mr. West asked. When we just stared at him still trying to process what he had just revealed, he continued.

"Our business is a very specific one, we deal in black market information. We buy it, we sell it, and sometimes we blackmail people with it. You will find that particular area to be very lucrative."

"Information? You mean like the information in the box my father spoke of?" Max asked.

"Yes, Max, that particular piece of information was what got your mother killed."

Max stood up and I could tell he was contemplating punching Mr. West in the face. I can't say that I blamed him but I had to calm him down. We needed to know exactly what we had gotten ourselves into.

I put my hands on Max's chest and looked directly in his eyes. I whispered softly to him trying to keep his focus on me. His face was turning the color of crimson so I took it in my hands and began trying to soothe him. I let out a sigh of relief when he finally sat back down and took my hand in his.

"Why the hell would you be in this 'business' when you know how dangerous it is? Why would my father put my mother in harm's way like that?" Max questioned.

Mr. West kept his same cold expression as he explained.

"We didn't have much of a choice Max. When our fathers passed the torch to us, our families were already in too deep. We didn't know how far back it went, we just knew there was no way out. We never dreamed one of us would actually lose our lives. Your father kind of went off the deep end after he lost your mother but thankfully he kept his head for business."

"Who killed her?" Max asked as his hands began to tremble.

"You know what is in that box Max, that family would stop at nothing to get that information back. We have no idea how deep it ran but we suspect it could have been dirty FBI agents."

"Why are they still after it? Everyone involved is long gone?"

"Because if it ever came out, their family legacy would be destroyed."

Chase and I were exchanged glances knowing that whatever they were discussing was better left unknown to us.

"Okay, so our families have been keeping dirty secrets for decades, that is basically what you are telling us. How do we fit into all of this?" Chase asked.

His father kept up his ice-cold demeanor. It was as if he was discussing what he was going to have for dinner. He had no emotions, no expression, nothing.

"Well, Max is the keeper of the information and negotiates the deals. Chase your job is to handle security and to process the funds so they are not traceable."

We were all trying desperately to wrap our heads around everything but it was overwhelming.

"What makes you think we can do those things father?" Chase inquired.

"We made sure of it. Why do you think you went to college for finance Chase? I insisted on it."

Max stood up and starting pacing around the room. You could see that his mind was going a million miles an hour trying to sort everything out. He finally stopped as if something had just occurred to him.

"What about her?" He asked pointing at me.

"Your father insisted on the proposition with her because he was tired of seeing you taking life for granted. You needed someone who would ground you. He also knew she would be a great asset for harvesting information at social events."

"Wow," Max said. "You two have orchestrated our entire lives. How does it feel to be puppet masters?"

I stood up and walked over to Max. He was a split second from losing it and I knew it. I put my hand on his back and began rubbing it. I knew it was insignificant in the grand scheme of what we were dealing with but I had to try.

"Childish outbursts will be of no benefit to you Max. There will be a brief transition and then I will disappear. I intend on getting so lost that no one will ever find me. I would like to put as much distance between myself and this life as possible."

That time it was Chase that stood up, anger shown all over his face. I even saw the veins in his neck bulging.

"So just like that? You sent mom away like she was a bag of trash you were throwing out. You sent me away so you wouldn't have to deal with me and now your just going to disappear? You're a sad excuse for a father and a human being!" Chase shouted.

When he finished his speech he stormed out of the office but I could see the tears beginning to form as he walked out. I excused myself and ran behind him into the main hall. He leaned against the wall trying to calm himself but ultimately turned around and punched the wall creating a massive hole in it.

I grabbed his arm pulling it back, trying desperately to calm him. I wasn't making any progress so I did the only thing I could think of. I threw my arms around his neck and pulled him to me. To my surprise, I felt him begin to relax and he slowly started hugging me back. He was holding onto me like I was his life support and I didn't want to let go of him.

"Chase, it's okay. That asshole doesn't define you," I whispered in his ear.

It was at that moment that the door to the hall swung open and Max was standing there. He stared at us with equal parts of anger and hurt.

"So, that's how it is? I turn my back for five minutes and you've got your arms wrapped around him?" he asked as he walked right passed us.

I ran after him screaming," Max, stop! It's not like that," I tried to explain.

He got on the elevator and turned around to face me.

"Do not come after me!" He said so harshly I think I heard my heart as it shattered. 

*********

A/N

I promised more details in this chapter and I hope I delivered. I am absolutely loving writing Max and Lillies story and I hope you are enjoying read it. I always love to hear your feedback so what did you think of what happened in the hallway?