CHAPTER 50 - OUR LAST DAY

Max put the call on speaker so we could all listen in. We looked at each other, wondering what James would say. It's not every day that someone destroys your life and then gives you a brand new one.

He began by telling us what our new home would be in Australia. Staring at each other as we processed it, smiles formed on each of our faces. That would be quite an adventure. We would receive new passports, social security cards, birth certificates, the works. At first, we would have to stay at a safe house so that we could settle into our new identities. and become acclimated to the culture in a country that we knew nothing about. We finally knew what our new lives would look like. 

Next, Max asked the question we all wanted to know the answer to.

"How are you going to kill us, James?"

We all waited with bated breath to hear the answer.

"It will be a boating accident. That will be a viable cover since you already own a yacht and go boating often," he explained.

"That makes sense," Max said. "What do we need to do next?"

James explained that the next morning we should all pack a small bag. That was all they would allow us to bring. We should make it look like we were going on the boat for the day and all head to Max's yacht. He instructed us to take the yacht out like normal but they would provide the captain, he would be one of them. They would keep the mansion under surveillance until we left. We would also have an escort to the boat to make sure we got there. If someone was watching, they would never see them because they would keep their distance.

"Are you ready for a fresh start?" He asked when he finished explaining everything.

"It's not like we have much of a choice," Max replied.

"I want you all to know how much good your sacrifice will bring. This man has committed some horrible crimes and we will have what we need to put him behind bars. We know there are other members of the family involved. Taking him out will cause them to implode from the inside out."

"I'm glad there will be accountability for what he did to the girls and my mother. I am not a violent man, but I could kill him with my bare hands," Max said.

" Get some rest. Tomorrow is a big day," James said before he hung up.

After the call ended, it seemed like it had lifted a weight off him and in reality, it had. The horrible legacy his father left him would be nothing more than a memory in a matter of hours. They would hold his mother's killer accountable and we would be out of harm's way.

"Well, we should do as James instructed and get some rest," Max said, but I noticed that something wasn't right with Chase.

"Chase, are you okay?" I asked him, causing Max and Piper to stop and turn their attention to him.

"Yeah," he said, even though he looked as pale as a ghost.

"No way, I'm not buying it. We will be all each other has for the rest of our lives so you might as well spill," I insisted.

He hesitated for a moment like he didn't want to share what was on his mind.

"I can't get my mom off of my mind. I know my dad sent her away, and we have had little contact, but the thought of never seeing her again sucks." Piper put her arms around him and hugged him, but he still seemed a million miles away.

"I know it hurts man, but there is no other way," Max reminded him.

"I know," he said as we began walking out of the secret room.

Thinking of how much Chase was hurting was killing me. It was hard for us all, but I hadn't stopped to think about how hard it was for him. I let Max and Piper go ahead of us and stayed back a little so I could have a moment with Chase. He knew what I was up to, I could see it in his eyes.

"I'm sorry Chase, I want you to know that I am here for you," I said. I was trying to reassure him that no matter what happened I was here if he needed me. "I know, I have always known that," he said making me smile. It was important to me that even though we had made our decisions, he knew that I was in his corner. He would always be my friend and there was nothing I wouldn't do for him.

It surprised me Max didn't turn around and intervene. He couldn't stand it when we had one-on-moments like that. The gravity of everything had forced him to show us a little grace.

We spent another sleepless night after that, and when morning came, we gathered our things. It was our final morning as Max, Lillie, Chase, and Piper. Even thinking of having new identities seemed absurd but they were coming regardless of whether we wanted them or not.

Before we walked out of the mansion for the last time, Max stopped at the door and looked around. You could see by the look on his face he was gathering the memories he had there to carry with him. After a few seconds, I put my hand on his shoulder and said, "Let's go, baby." He nodded his head and pulled the door to behind him. He was closing the door on the only home he had ever known.

We climbed in the SUV with Paul driving as usual. Max had ensured that our security team would stay on with us in Australia. They were the only people he trusted.

Max and I took the middle seat, and Piper and Chase took the rear seat. We were finally off, ready to start our new lives together. The drive was quiet, and I held onto Max's hand. Lost in my own thoughts, I stared out of the window trying to take in our surroundings. I knew it would be the last time I saw them. 

There was a security team in front of us and behind us, which made me feel safe. I always felt safe with our security team knowing they were the best at what they did.

"Almost there," Max said as he squeezed my hand. I turned to look at him and offer him a warm smile. As his eyes met mine, I saw a vehicle passing us and watched in horror as it slammed into the side of us. The sound of metal screeching against metal was deafening. 

*********

A/N

Well, we thought they were safe but it looks like there may still be trouble ahead. I hope you are still enjoying their journey and would love to hear your thoughts.