CHAPTER 51 - SIRENS RANG OUT

Every moment seemed to be in slow motion. When they slammed into us Piper let out a blood-curdling scream and I will never forget the fear in her voice. I was looking into the other vehicle as they slammed into us once more.

The second hit forced our vehicle into the quarter panel of the security team ahead of us. As our vehicles collided, it felt like someone punched me in the stomach. It propelled my body forward with such force that I could feel the seat belt tear into my shoulder. I screamed as I heard my collar bone snapping.

Our bodies flailed inside the vehicle as we spun out of control. I looked at Max with desperation and the same fear shown in his eyes. It felt like we were moving so slow. I watched in horror as Max's body tumbled back and forth. When we crashed into the concrete barrier, it rocked my entire body.

After we came to a stop, I tried to reach for Max's hand. As I turned to him, I saw the vehicle that wrecked us drive by. When their vehicle was parallel to ours, I saw a gun appear in their window. I screamed, but it was too late, they fired.

Bullets peppered our vehicle. There were so many and they kept coming. I couldn't move once I saw the gun. I froze in place as shock took hold of me. I could hear Max shouting, "Get down, Lillie."

I felt him grab my arm and pull me toward the floorboard as another bullet rattled through the window. It went through Max's hand and I whizzed by my head. It seemed so surreal as I saw it coming straight for me. I thought to myself, "this is it, this is the end." Before it reached me, I closed my eyes. I couldn't bear to look any longer.

Tears streamed down my face as I prayed they would leave. I was thankful that was the last shot. We couldn't have survived many more. I could hear Piper in a panic in the back seat. She kept screaming at Chase, "Wake up, please wake up." I turned to look and saw Chase slumped over with Piper, desperate for him to respond to her.

Paul's body lay lifeless over the steering wheel, not making a single movement. I could see blood trickling from his temple. It had to be in a terrible dream, I just needed to wake up.

I felt a warm sensation cascading down my neck, and I realized that Max was shouting at me. "Lillie, you're hit, you're hit." My eyes grew wide as I looked into his. That couldn't be right. If they shot me, I would be in pain. I felt nothing. My body was numb.

As he was shouting at me, I focused on his hand. Blood was streaming out of it. There was so much of it. I wasn't sure how he was even using it. I reached up, trying to touch it, but I couldn't. He was moving around too much.

He took his shirt off and balled it up, pressing it to my neck and I looked at him like he was crazy. I tried to push him off of me, but he fought back. "Lillie, honey stop fighting me, you're in shock," I heard him say.

Why was he worried about me? I reached for his hand again and pulled it to me. I needed to see how bad it was.

"Don't move Lillie, please!" He shouted again.

"Max, you're bleeding. Let me see your hand."

I felt the pressure on my neck increase. "Please baby, stop moving."

"I'm okay but your hand, it's bleeding," I told him. Why didn't he understand that they had shot him?

Trying to reach for him again, it became harder to move. My body felt like it weighed a thousand pounds. He grabbed my hand with his bleeding one, and I looked down at it. It seemed blurry. I was having trouble focusing on it.

"Max, something's not right, I don't feel good," I told him.

"I know baby, you will be okay, but I need you to hold still," he said as he looked into my eyes.

Tears were streaming down my face, but I didn't know why. I'm not sure what I felt, but I knew something was wrong. It was a feeling I had never felt in my entire life. My vision was getting hazy and my body felt warm and peaceful all at once.

"Stay with me, Lillie," I heard him say and I could see the fear in his eyes.

"I love you, Max," I whispered because my voice felt so small.

"Don't you do that. Don't you say your goodbyes."

I just stared at him, I didn't have the strength to do much more.

"I'm right here Lillie, please don't leave me."

"Lillie, please baby, I need you."

I wanted to tell him how much I loved him too, but no words would come. My eyes stayed fixed on his and even though they were getting heavy, I refused to let them close.

His expression changed as tears streamed down his face. Max pulled my hand to his mouth and kissed it as he cried.

"Please Lillie, I love you."

I was still trying to fight, but I couldn't any longer. My eyes were too heavy. When they finally closed, I could still hear Max shouting.

"No, no, no baby, stay with me."

Sirens rang out in the background, and everything started going dark. At first, it was a cloudy grey color, but it grew darker and darker. I was trying to tell myself to hold on, just a few more minutes. Max, he needed me. 

My thoughts were futile, as the sirens got closer everything went black. 

********

A/N

Well, this one was tough to write. I would love to hear your thoughts and feedback and appreciate you continuing to follow their journey.