CHAPTER 3 - WHY ARE YOU IN MY APARTMENT?

"Go get yourself dressed, we have more work to do if you are to pass as presentable," Max barked. So that's how he wanted to play it? If he was going to continue being indignant then he would be providing me with an endless supply of motivation.

We spent the rest of the afternoon going to salons and getting a facial to make sure my skin "glowed." How ridiculous, I would have liked to have seen how much his skin "glowed," after a night of hauling greasy food back and forth to ungrateful and hungry people. 

He lived in a bubble that isolated him from reality. I intended on beating him at his own game. I would find a way to excel in his world and then give him a dose of the real one.

When I got out of the car at my apartment Chase brought a smile to my face when he said, "You look amazing Lillie." I glanced over at Max to see if he wanted to second his opinion but he just stared blankly out of the window.

"I will pick you up at ten in the morning and we will continue," he said without even looking at me. I wasn't sure what else we had to do but I was willing to go along with it for four thousand dollars a week.

The next morning I woke up late. I had to finish out my schedule for the week at the diner and worked a late shift with Piper. Just because I was able to quit my day job did not mean I was going to leave them high and dry. It wasn't in my character to leave someone hanging like that.

I jumped out of the bed like a lunatic and ran to the shower. It always amazed me how I would try with everything in my power to take a quick shower but still wound up spending fifteen minutes in there.

As soon as I was done, I threw a towel around myself and ran to the kitchen to grab an aspirin. My head was pounding from all of the stress of my new arrangement. I didn't make it two steps out of the bathroom door when I froze in place. Max was standing in my living room  and I was practically naked.

"You should really lock your door Lillie, you never know what sort of people might find their way in."

The audacity of this man, who did he think he was?

"Your right Max you never know what sort of person might find their way in, even egotistical ass-holes could be lurking about."

The look of shock on the man's face was priceless. It was clear that few people had ever spoken to him so frankly. He had it coming waltzing into my apartment unannounced.

I was puzzled when he didn't offer some cynical retort. He just let his eyes run up and down the length of my body. That was new! He spent most of his time trying to belittle me and now he was checking me out?

"Why are you in my apartment?" I demanded to know.

"You were late and when I found your door unlocked I figured you wouldn't mind."

I rolled my eye as I crossed my arms and tapped my foot on the floor.

"And exactly why would you think that?"

"You have washed my underwear so taking a peep at your living room shouldn't be that big of a deal."

"Well you're wrong," I scowled.

He had a look of confusion on his face.

"And why is that?"

"Because I don't need you walking in here with your condescending stare judging me that's why."

He seemed shocked but I had no idea why. He made a sport out of judging me so that shouldn't have come as a surprise.

"Go get dressed Easton, you overthink things far too much."

So he was addressing me by my last name now? 

Walking hesitantly to the bathroom, I cringed thinking about him taking in every detail of my personal life. I hurried to finish getting ready so that I could get him out of there. My living room was one place he had no business being. When I walked out he looked at me and shook his head.

"What?" I asked still disgusted with him.

"I was just thinking of how different you look."

"What are you talking about Max?"

"You just look so different with your clothes on."

"Get out!" I shouted as I pointed at the door. He obliged and I was glad because I was seriously fantasizing about killing him at that moment. Walking to the car in silence I couldn't help but notice the smirk on his face as I climbed in. It annoyingly stayed there for the entire ride.

We finally pulled up in front of Cafe' Boulud. I just stared for a moment at the women walking in and out in their designer clothes and stilettos.

"What are we doing here Max?" I questioned. I was truly baffled as to why he would have brought me there.

"I just thought that since we are going to be spending so much time together we should get to know each other." I was anticipating a class on dining etiquette or maybe a crash course in communication but not that.

I stared at him for a moment in disbelief. Was he serious or was he just messing with me? I had no idea but what I did know was if this was going to happen, it was going to be on my terms.

"Not here," I finally replied.

"Okay, then where do you propose?"

"My favorite diner."

********

A/N

I hope you enjoyed this chapter and appreciate you continuing to follow their story. What do you think of Lillie so far?