CHAPTER 28 - THE BEAT DOWN

I was frozen in place as screams escaped me. Piper's face and neck were crimson red as his hand pushed into her airway. Her mouth was open desperately trying to gasp for air and the white of her eyes was turning red.

I watched in horror as Chase grabbed the monster by his shoulder and snatched him backward, forcing him to release Piper. She fell to the floor in a limp pile and I ran to her side pulling her into my lap.

"It's okay Piper, you're okay, just breath, please breath," I pleaded with her.

Her eyes were staring up at me and they looked almost lifeless. She was trying to fight but she was so weak.

"Come on, that's it," I said as her voice began to form in a small rasp.

I pulled her to me as tears streamed down both of our faces. She was still in my lap when we heard the sounds of Chase's fist slamming into her attacker's face. We both looked over, Max was holding the dirtbag and Chase was beating him mercilessly.

Each time Chase's hand connected with the guy's face, his flesh would tear and blood spewed. He was beginning to gurgle on it but Chase didn't hold back. He wasn't just angry, he was full of uncontrollable rage. It was almost primal as if someone or something had taken over his entire being.

Max began shouting, "That's enough man." But Chase wouldn't stop. Hit after hit, he was destroying him.

We heard Max shout even louder, "Chase, stop, you're going to kill him."

At the same time, the "driver" began pulling Chase off of the guy. I think he had completely exhausted himself which made it a little easier for him to separate them.

"I'll take it from here sir," he insisted and I was reminded that he was a trained killer disguised as a harmless driver.

Chase was trying to catch his breath and Max was looking at him like he was a stranger. None of us had ever seen that side of him or even knew it existed.

The driver grabbed the man that was beaten half to death under his arms and dragged him into the next room. He quickly returned and threw a set of keys at Max. "Sir, you need to get out of here. Neither one of you can afford to be implicated in this."

No one argued with him. I think we were all in shock. While Chase was still leaned against the wall catching his breath Max walked over to us.

"Come on, let's get you out of here," he said to Piper.

He kneeled down and scooped her up in his arms carrying her to the car. I followed behind them but stopped when I realized Chase wasn't moving. He was just standing there frozen.

"Hey, we have to get out of here," I reminded him as I grabbed his hand. The look in his eyes was pure fear. He was scared of himself and I wondered how long that rage had been hiding just below the surface.

He slowly started moving and followed me to the car, still in a bit of a daze. Max was in the backseat holding Piper so I climbed in the passenger seat and Chase started driving.

"Where are we going man?" Max asked when we realized we were not heading back to the mansion.

"She can't stay at the mansion with us and she can't go back there. I am taking her somewhere safe."

I looked back at Max and he shot me a look that let me know he was as confused as I was. Chase seemed to be on a mission so we turned our attention to Piper. For the first time since we arrived at the apartment and heard her screaming, I was able to get a good look at her.

My heart broke into a million pieces. She was laying in Max's lap in the fetal position with her entire body shaking. He was stroking her hair and trying everything he could to comfort her.

The area around her left eye was swollen and red, with a long cut just above her eyebrow. I cringed when I saw the blood still trickling out of it. Her lips that were usually covered in matte red lipstick were split open with small pieces of flesh exposed. She even had dried blood in her hairline.

There was no controlling the tears as it began to really sink in what she had suffered at his hands. What hurt the most, was realizing that her spirit was broken even worse than her body.

When the car came to a stop, I tore my attention away from her and tried to get my bearings. I had no idea where we were. I knew we were no longer on the side of town I used to call home. It was way more upscale which told me we were closer to Max's side of the tracks.

As soon as Chase shut the car off, he opened the trunk rummaging through it. He grabbed a blanket and threw it over Piper, scooping her up and walking toward the apartment building. We followed close behind still unsure what was going on.

When we passed the doorman he gave us a curious look. Chase put on his best smile and made a comment about her having a little too much to drink.

We rode silently up the elevator and when it stopped he walked toward the door of one of the apartments. He motioned toward his pocket and I reached in finding the keys. As I turned the knob I had no idea what awaited us.

The apartment was stunning and I looked around in amazement as Chase laid Piper down the couch. He disappeared for a few minutes so I walked over and sat down next to her. She was sobbing so softly as if she felt her entire life was over.

I leaned down and kissed her in one of the few spots on her face that weren't soaked in blood. "You're gonna be okay," I whispered as she grabbed my hand.

"I am so stupid," she said through tears. It was then that Chase walked into the living room holding a first aid kit so I stood up, allowing him to take my place.

"No, that asshole is stupid, not you. The only mistake you made was loving him, Piper," he told her as he began cleaning her wounds.

********

A/N

What do you think of what happened to Piper? What do you think the driver did with her attacker? I would love to hear your thoughts.