CHAPTER 57 - EPILOGUE

Lillie's POV

I emerged from my office after a grueling day of writing. Six straight hours of sitting at that desk, desperately trying to come up with the right words, had left me weary. Over recent months I had found writing cathartic. It was really helping me process all the traumatizing events I had experienced.

Wondering into the bedroom, I saw Max slipping out of some very dirty jeans. "What did you get into today?" I questioned.

"I was helping the ranch hand put up some fencing."

I shook my head at how adorable he was. In a very short time, he had turned our beautiful stretch of property into 'Donoff Ranch'.

We were still getting used to being Laura Jones and Mason Donoff. Behind closed doors, we still used our actual names. We often teased one another because Piper and Mason's names were not much better. They had become Carson Smith and Penny Johnston. We would eventually have to stop using them altogether. It was getting far too tricky going back and forth.

Max was scrubbing a hard day of work away and shouting at me from the shower, "Wear something nice tonight."

"Why? What is so special about tonight?"

"Did you forget? We get to find out the sex of our godchild tonight."

How could I have forgotten? The story I was working on was hi-jacking my thoughts and turning me into a crazy lady. I didn't have much time, but I slipped on something extra special. I wanted to dress my best for the sweet little one about to turn all our lives upside down.

When Max emerged from the bathroom he was looking as sexy as ever. Black dress pants, a white button-down, and sleek black tie. He would be lucky if I let him out of the room long enough to make it to dinner.

After he fought me off, we headed to the dining room, or that's where I thought we were heading. He grabbed my hand and escorted me out to the Courtyard. He had the Chef prepare a meal for us and served right there under the stars. Climbing vines surrounded us, and it was breathtaking.

"Max, it's so beautiful," I said as he pulled my chair out for me.

"We wondered how long you two would keep us waiting. You know I am eating for two now," Piper teased.

"Sorry, it's hard to tear myself away from him," I joked while sending him a little wink. That brought a ridiculous smile to his face.

We enjoyed our meal and some great conversation while excitement hung in the air. When the Chef served our dessert, I couldn't wait any longer.

"I can't take it, please tell us if that little bundle of joy is a girl or a boy," I pleaded.

Piper and Chase's faces lit up. They were enjoying torturing us. I grabbed Max's hand under the table. The time had finally come. They looked at each other and then back at us.

"Well, your goddaughter was beautiful on her sonogram today," Chase finally revealed. I jumped out of my seat and ran to Piper, throwing my arms around her neck.

"It's a girl?" I asked.

"It's a girl," she confirmed.

I pulled her into the biggest hug I could muster.

"This will be so much fun," I told her as I heard Max clear his throat behind me.

"Well, this is cause for celebration. I'll go grab our best bottle of champagne from the cellar," he announced.

I heard him but was busy congratulating the soon to be parents. By the time he returned, I had finally calmed a bit and was attempting to finish my dessert.

The bottle in his hand must have been fancy because it had a red ribbon around it. That was the first time I had ever seen that. He reached over and poured me a glass and I noticed something shiny hanging from the ribbon. When he set the bottle down, I could see it it was a ring with a huge diamond. I stared at it, trying to put together what exactly was going on.

"Max?" I called out while still laser-focused on the ring that must have cost a fortune.

"Yeah, baby?"

"What is this?" I asked as I turned and he saw him kneeling next to me. Looking in his eyes, tears wailed up in mine.

"What's going on?" I asked again, and a huge smile appeared on his face. He was staring right into my eyes and refused to look away.

"Lilie, my beautiful Lillie. When I first met you, you drove me insane. Since then you have shown me what is important in life. You have been by my side through everything and taught me how to love someone other than myself. You are the best part of me. Will you be mine for the rest of our lives?"

Stunned, I couldn't even speak. I didn't realize that I hadn't answered him. My mind was processing everything he said while my heart was melting.

"Baby?" He asked, drawing me back to reality.

"Of course I will marry you. I love you, Max," I finally said as he let out the breath he was holding. He untied the ring from the ribbon and slipped it on my finger.

"It's me and you forever."

*********

A/N

Okay guys, that's it, the end it officially here. I hope you enjoyed the Epilogue and appreciate you going on this journey with me. I appreciate each and every one of you. 

WANT A SNEAK PEEK AT MY FIRST SELF PUBLISHED NOVEL?

Mid February you can find it at most on-line book retailers. Protecting Olivia has been all polished up with two new chapters and a new name - ETHAN'S EMPIRE - LAYING DOWN THE RULES. Get a sneak peek at the first five chapters and sign up for upcoming updates here:

https://rvgarner.com/newsletter-dont-miss-a-thing-get-all-the-latest-news-and-updates/