XVI

×

Seungcheol and Hansol wandered around, passing through streets and shops, everywhere was bright and colorful.

Hansol was deep in his thoughts and almost bumped into a street lamp if the older hadn't pulled him out of the way. "Thanks for that, Hyung."

"What's gotten you thinking so hard, Sol?"

The younger hesitates at first, wanting to avoid the topic but he trusts the older.

"When Father told me about the marriage, I was too appalled, hyung. I'm only 17. I won't be a king for the next 3 years yet and I'm not ready, then suddenly, I was thrown into this situation."

Seungcheol watches the younger bury his face in his hands, distressed. He pulls the other to sit on an isolated area and sits on a bench and pulls him into an embrace.

"I know you're scared, Sol. All of us are. This is new. We don't why but I'm sure it will be alright once we get to the castle."

They lapsed into a comfortable silence, Hansol lifts his head up and smiles at the older. "Thanks hyung."

"Seems like you boys are having a little problem." They whipped their heads to the voice that spoke. As if out of nowhere, an old lady appeared in front of them. Her long grey hair reaches her waist, flowing freely. She looks rather young with the white dress she wears but the wrinkles in her face tells otherwise. Hansol almost stumbles back in shock.

Seungcheol shook his head at her, "We're fine, miss."

The old lady sits beside them, gazing up at the sun. The silence was rather uncomfortable for unknown reasons. Hansol coughs to get Seungcheol's attention and gestures for then to leave. They were about to when the speaks.

"I met my first love in this place."

She still was looking at the sky, eyes now closed as if recalling. Seungcheol pulls Hansol to sit down for a moment. The younger tries to get up but he just gave him a 'sit down, young man' look.

"I was 15 and he was 17. We would at this exact bench, telling stories and counting our days. We made countless memories here. Our love was pure and true. And after a year, that love bore something beautiful and precious." She was still smiling but this time, it was full of pain and sadness. "But our love was forbidden."

Intrigued by the story, Hansol, who was no longer sulking, decided to ask, " Why was your love forbidden?"

The old lady just shakes her head and pulls something out of her pocket. She holds it out for them to see.

Two plain necklaces, each has a ring on it.

She pulls Seungcheol's hand and places it. Bewildered by the action, he tries to pull his hand away but the her grip was strong. She does the same to Hansol, the latter rather stood still as she puts the other necklace in his palm.

They both look at the rings, eyes twinkling with curiosity and admiration at it.

Seungcheol closely inspects the ring. The band is shaped like angel wings and on the top a red diamond. The ring on Hansol's hand was simple. It has a thin silver band, its diamond was blue and shaped like a snowflake.

"Give that to the person your heart desires. I'm sure they would love it." Seungcheol and Hansol stares at her, perplexed at why would someone would do this.

"We are thankful for such and they are quite lovely, but we cannot accept such gifts."

They try to give it back but she shakes her head once again. "Miss, we don't understand why you're giving this. We're strangers after all."

"Are we though, Prince Seungcheol?"

×

"Seungcheol hyung? Is something wrong?" Mingyu asks for the nth time. The eldest had a blank look on his face, eyes devoid of any emotions as he stares ahead.

He still couldn't figure out what happened to them. If Jun and the others had not called for them, he could have questioned the old woman but when he turned to where he was, she was gone.

It baffled him on what she meant, more importantly who she was.

Hansol was also shaken up a little but it seems he is fine now that the others are there. Currently, they are heading to the castle. Night is about to fall and they have to be on time. Chan was already there.

"We have to hurry." Soonyoung tells them as they see the gates.

Leading the way, the royal guards led them inside the castle. They were lead to their chambers to stay. One of the guards reminding them that the King and Queen is waiting.

Hastily pulling themselves to look prince-like at least.

Seokmin bumps into Jun as he was hurrying to wear his boots. The latter stumbling a bit, something falling out of his coat and a clink sound echoed.

"What's that?" Seokmin looks at where it has fallen, Jun grabbing something it from under the bed. They all watch as he pulls it out, object glinting from under the light.

"Is that a ring?" Hansol takes a step closer but Jun hides it in his coat. Avoiding their stares. "What?" He says.

"You bought one?" Seungcheol asks and notices that Mingyu is also looking away. Jun nods slowly.

"Really? Seokmin and I didn't see you there though." Soonyoung retaliates, his statement causing them to stare at him.

Watching Jun hesitate, Mingyu moves closer and pulls something from his coat as well. It was also a ring.

"We didn't buy them. Someone gave it to us." Mingyu tells them, unconsciously shuddering as he recalls.

His action didn't go unnoticed by the eldest, "Did something happened that you are not telling us?"

Jun and Mingyu looked at each other before facing them, "This old lady dragged us into an antique shop, an almost accident involving Mingyu's clumsiness and next thing we knew, she gave us this."

"It's weird that some old lady just gave us this, but what crept me out is she knew who we are."

Silence suddenly enveloped the atmosphere, all staring into one another. Seungcheol unknowingly grips Mingyu's hand. "It also happened to us." Hansol and Seokmin utters at the same time.

Before they could continue, someone knocks on the door. "His King and Queen are waiting for your presence. The princes will arrive shortly."

Snapping out of their thoughts, Seungcheol claps his hands to get their attention, "We'll talk about this later. But for now, we have to meet the princes."

One by one they all move out. Seungcheol was the last and as he was about to close the door, he hears something whisper in his ear. The words almost making him fall on his knees.

"... must die."