XXXI

×

'Mother, do you believe angels exist?'

She hums in reply, watching as her son point at something on the story book in his lap. She moves closer, brushing the boy's unruly hair and kisses his forehead.

"Yes. I do believe." The boy's eyes widen, glimmering under the flickering of candle light in his room.

"Have you seen one, Mother?"

She takes the book away and scoots her son closer to her, "No. But let me tell you about how your  ancestors did."

She chuckles as the boy lets out a gasp, placing himself on his mother's lap. "Please tell, Mother."

"It was when the war started. The angels were sent to help us. They were the purest of any, the light they behold can withstand the darkness. Their wings held us safe and voices soothed the worries away. Yet, they had no remorse in taking life after life to keep the peace. We won the war and drove them away but the blood that was shed were more than any of your the seven alphas could imagine. They may held faces of the good but they were ruthless."

The boy watches as her mother's face darkens, the atmosphere turning heavy as she ends her story. It was gone as soon as it came, she smiles at him and tightens his embrace.

"I thought angels were supposed to be good, Mother?"

She was about to reply when the door opens, "How come you're still awake, hmm?"