XXXVIII

•••

Mingyu jogs towards the main library, steps in a hurry as he whisks left and right, trying to retrace his way there, almost bumping into a servant holding a tray full of plates.

The young prince was hoping for his betrothed to be there, maybe they could talk about what happened. Its been two days already, they see each other when its time to eat but other than that, the omega holes himself into their bed chambers which is certainly off-limits, being accompanied by his attendant – the attendant scares him so he tries not to cross their paths if possible – and at the library. There are about eight libraries, Wonwoo has told him, one for each floor. The eight library is a secret no one knows where.

Hastening his pace as he sees the library door, pausing for a moment as he readies to apologize if he did offend the Prince again.

He knocks, and waits. When no one answered, he opened the door to reveal the place empty. The chairs and tables are on their spot, no sign of being moved. 'Maybe he's inside.' He leaves the door open and trudges inside.

It was too silent, only his footsteps echoing as he steps on the marble tiles, he peaks between bookshelves, hoping to find the omega seated on the floor, engrossed on a new book.

Mingyu reaches the end bookshelf and no sign of him, a pout forming on his face as he has to search at the other libraries. Groaning quietly, he turns and steps when he hears a scuffle. He freezes on his place, straining his ears to hear. There was a noise of scratching against wood and something falling on the floor.

Mingyu drops on the floor, hiding his self as he could, peaking through to see a book has fallen. The culprit no where. He places his palms on the floor, crawling slowly, following the shuffling sounds he hears. 

Raising his hand, readying to attack the intruder. Jumping out of his hiding spot, he yells a loud 'Aha!' scaring them as they let out a loud hiss at the noise.

Mingyu looks down and is meet with pair of ashen blue eyes glaring at him.

'Meow!' It lets out.

Mingyu is a dog-person. He likes them better and has ten of them at home. He understands them more than cats do but it doesn't take a genius to know that it just told him to fuck off.

"Meow, meow!" He retorts back, making it jump and hiss at him, claws out as it tries to scratch him. He tilts his head, inquisitively staring at cat. Its ashen blue eyes complements its white, thick fur, cute pink button nose and seems smaller than normal cats. Maybe a kitten.

Mingyu wants to pet it.

So he reaches a hand towards the kitten, making it jump out of the way and ran. He whines and follows it. Apparently, the fluff of ball knows its way around as he titters over the shelves, bumping the books, making them fall on the floor. The alpha makes a mental note to pick them up later. Mingyu huffs, tired of running when the kitten gets cornered, meowing loudly.

He tiptoes carefully, levelling down to stare at it, holding his hand out again.

'Meeeeeoooow!' Get away!

Scratching his head, he inches closer and closer. Maybe he should try calling it like how Hansol had taught him.

"sksksksksksksksksksks!"

"What the hell are you doing?" Someone said from behind him, making him stumble backwards, falling on his ass. Mingyu winces, looking up at the person.

"Prince Minghao? What are you doing here?"

Minghao raises a brow at him, "I asked you the same thing, Prince Mingyu."

The alpha points at the frightened kitten at the corner, "I'm trying to catch it."

"Wonwoo hyung's cat?"

Mingyu blinks, "Oh, its his?"

The omega sits beside him on the floor, crossing his legs as he nods, "Uh-huh. Hyung owns all the cats in the castle and they are everywhere."

Mingyu hums, "Can you call it? What's his name?"

"It's a she. Her name is Aubrey and no, it hates me." Minghao says, glaring at the cat.

The alpha pouts even more, calling for the cat again, "sksksksksksk."

The younger prince snorts loudly, covering his mouth with his hands. "What the fuck?"

"I'm trying to call it."

Minghao nudges him on the side, "That's not how you do it."

"Then you do it." Mingyu challenges, folding his arms over his chest, pouting even harder, looking like a petulant child.

Minghao sits upright, holding out both of his hands to the kitten, "pspspspspspspsps."

The kitten looks up, meowing again, tittering towards his open arms, "Meow."

Minghao lifts it in his arms, smirking at the alpha who whines loudly. "Come here so you can pet it."

Mingyu does as told, placing a hand on his fur, rubbing it gently, eyes lighting up in childish wonder. "Its so cute."

"You want to hold it, Prince Mingyu?" He puts Aubrey into his awaiting embrace, smile growing bigger. Minghao stares at him, wondering how someone can be so happy with the smallest of things, a smile pulling at his face unconsciously at the picturesque sight.

"Mingyu is fine."

He blinks out of his staring, "What?"

"You can call me Mingyu. Saying Prince Mingyu is kind of lengthy." He says, lifting the kitten in his hands, cooing as it meows at him.

"Okay, I guess we can drop the formalities." The omega agrees.

"We're gonna be best friends." Mingyu beams at him, making him roll his eyes.

"Dream on, Mingyu."

The statement made the alpha whine, scaring the kitten in his arms who apparently fell asleep as they conversed.
It jumps and runs away again. Mingyu lets it be, looking at the mess he made in the library.

"Hey, Minghao?"

"What?"

"Can you help me with this books?" He jerks his chin at the mess, smiling sheepishly at the omega.

Minghao nods, picking the book near his feet and hits Mingyu with it, "You're such a  clumsy tree, Mingyu."

"No tree is as handsome as I am." Mingyu responds back, props the book above the shelf Minghao is arranging his.

"Right." Minghao whispers, barely audible, but Mingyu heard it and he chuckles. "So you think I'm handsome?"

Minghao huffs, turning around to respond, a sarcastic comment on his mouth, but faces the alpha's slender neck, towering over him, his collarbones showing under his white long sleeves. He traces his eyes up, to his chiseled jawline, red lips, pointy nose, and dark brown eyes.

The omega gulps, unconsciously licking his lips, "W-what are you doing?"

Mingyu opens his mouth to say something, when the door bangs shut, the noise echoing through out the library. He pulls away from their previous position, staring wide-eyed at each other. 'Shit!'

Someone saw them.

And they might have the wrong idea.