LIX

•••

Chan rubs his temples in exasperation, pursing his lips not to let out an annoyed sigh as he watches Seungkwan pace back and forth, biting his nails to ease his nervousness. He was mumbling something Chan can't decipher and would pull his hair randomly.

The youngest heeds it no mind at first, but when the older started to smack his own self, he decided to interrupt. Chan stands from where he is seated and pulls Seungkwan to sit beside him. "What's gotten your pants in a twist?"

He got a smack on the forehead instead of a verbal reply. Chan rubs the spot and glares at the other, sticking his tongue out to tease him. Seungkwan snarls in frustration and reaches over to him, pulling his hair instead. "You brat!"

Chan yelps, fighting the hands of the older prince on his. He understands the worries the omega has, the queen's burial was set tomorrow and everyone in the castle was doing their work in a still grim and tense state, the kingdom mourned for the lost of their beloved queen and reached out to give their condolences to the royal family. Flowers and letters arrived and they were thankful for the love the people have for them. Seungkwan was helping the servants in assorting the letters, he takes the one sent to his father when a specific name caught his attention, it was addressed to his betrothed. He turned it to the front and sees the seal of the Jade Kingdom stamped on it.

Being the nosy person that he is, he takes the letter and carefully opens it, breaking the seal stapled on it. Scanning the contents of the letter, he shrieks loudly, echoing through the castle and runs to where Chan was, who was having a peaceful morning and groans when he sees the older prince.

Chan winces when Seungkwan pulls his hair a little harder, he stopped fighting with him, if this will help him calm down then he'll let him. When the grip on his loosens, he clicks his tongue in annoyance as his scalp stings from the tug. He casts a glance at Seungkwan's panicked face, he hasn't told Chan what he was here for.

"Will you tell me what's happening with you?" Chan asks again, leaning his neck on the backrest of the couch, soothing his hair down.

"Hansol's father." Seungkwan mutters, hiding his face in his cupped hands.

"What about the Jade King?" Chan moves closer, poking him on the shoulder. Seungkwan's hysterics are driving him crazy, he wonders how come Hansol finds them amusing.

"He... he's... Hansol's father is coming here." Seungkwan bemoans, burrowing further into his hands, his ears were turning red. Chan scratches the back of his head, confused at his bizarre actions. "So?"

He asks nonchalantly, not expecting to be smacked on the shoulder. "What do you mean 'so?'. Chan, you ass!"

"Stop screaming will you?" He groans out loud, catching Seungkwan's right hand that's about to swat him again. He keeps it in place and pinches him. "Behave and tell me what's going on."

He pinches the skin in his wrist when he receives no reply. Seungkwan sighs loudly, "I'm scared, okay?!"

"Of what?"

"Hansol's father."

"Why? The Jade King is pretty cool and always chill so there's nothing you should be afraid of." Chan says disinterested, he was more focused on rubbing circles on Seungkwan's pale wrist with his thumb, the gesture placating the older prince a bit. "But what if he doesn't like me?"

"Why not?" Chan exclaims, looking at him like he's the stupidest person on this kingdom. He was always confident, and cheerful, seeing him doubt and insecure doesn't suit him. Seungkwan squawks, clearly offended and is about to retort but the youngest continues talking. "There's a lot to like about you."

Chan gazes down at their hands, his voice softer than before. "You're kind, wise for someone your age, and cares a lot. You tend to others more than yourself. You bring sunshines and daisies as you walk, smiles brighter than the sun, not to mention you sing so heavenly." Chan unknowingly tightens his grip, his tone holding such fondness. "You're a beautiful person, Seungkwan. I hope you know that."

Chan exhales, the weight he had been carrying ever since finally feels light, as he pours the depths of his feelings. A part of him is ashamed for saying such words to the prince, but he wants Seungkwan to acknowledge what he really has been hiding, he can't conceal it forever, this emotional baggage was too much for him. He tries to hide it with childish banter and playful teasing, catching himself staring a little longer than he should. The way his heart thrums in his chest abnormally when he was close, looking out for him in every way possible. Not soon after, he knew. Something had sparked within him. He wants to be the one bringing smiles to him, to the point his eyes would crinkle and laughter so contagious. Yet, he knows the older won't see him the way he does, he tried putting his defenses up, walking away when he sees Hansol with him, playing it dumbly.

When he gathers the strength to meet his eyes, he can feel his heart cracking by the seams. Seungkwan wraps his hand around his, squeezing it gently. "Thank you, Chan. You really know what to say to make feel better." A smile graces his lips, the one that can outshine the sun in his place, and always directed at Hansol, and for the first time, to him. But seeing it up close breaks him even further. "What will I ever do if I hadn't met a friend like you."

The youngest laughs it off, letting go of his grip, and waves a hand at him dismissively.
Right, friend.

That's all he'll ever be, and he knows it. However, hearing him say it hurts, confirming the one thing he's been afraid of. He smiles, a bit wobbly and Seungkwan doesn't seem to notice as the door creaks open. Hansol comes into view and the older bounds to him happily. "Hansollie. Hi."

"Hey, boo. Hi, Chan."

Chan fights the bitterness clawing on his chest, and bids Hansol a greeting, his friend oblivious to the gloomy clouds perching above his head.

"What were you two talking about?" They take a seat besides Chan, apparently in their own world.

Hansol and Seungkwan.

Seungkwan and Hansol.

Chan, the famous third or thirteenth wheel.

He sees Seungkwan eyeing him, obviously scared to tell Hansol, asking for his help with pleading eyes. Chan would usually do it, jumping into the opportunity to out Seungkwan and fight with him but this time he can't, so he stands up from his place and smiles at them. "Just tell him. Hansol won't mind."

Hansol blinks at them curiously, then at Seungkwan who pulls something out of his pocket. They turn to each other, not minding his presence and he takes that as his cue to leave, wordlessly closing the door. Chan leans back on the wooden door, dazedly looking up the ceiling. He has no choice but to accept, that his feelings will never be returned. As long as they're happy, he'll be happy for them.