XL

•••

Seungcheol wanders around the garden, settling down on the fountain where he and his betrothed talked before.

The breeze gently swaying the trees, the sky was once sunny again, making the water look bright and sparkling. He reaches a hand to dip in down on the clear waters, his reflection staring back at him.

His mind reeling back to the memories he had. When they were still young, playing under the Sakura tree. The tree may not be there anymore but what he feels was still the same. He was a child but he knew deep down what he felt that day was real, but years came and they have to grow up, time changes people, and he wasn't surprised at all when the omega didn't remember who he was. There was this gap so wide that he has to patch and build a bridge over to reach him again. He will pursue his betrothed and win his love. He will make true of the promise he gave.

Yet, yesterday's event made the gap grow wider, Seungcheol couldn't get his betrothed's terrified face out of his mind,
hiding so many secrets behind his smile. He wants to reach for his hands, but that would be impertinent of him. He doesn't want to cause him woes, but the bags under his eyes show how much this keeping is taking a toll on him.

Another is why was he asking him if he had enemies. Was he being threatened without knowing? Are they using his betrothed to bait him? Are they going to harm him to inflict hurt on him? The thought makes him grit his teeth in anger. He will hurt anyone who dares to lay a hand on his beloved. If the Prince wouldn't tell him, Seungcheol will look for answers behind his back.

"Um." Seungcheol snaps out of his mulling and casts a gaze at the person who stepped in. 

"Prince Jisoo, what are you doing out here?" He stands up to greet the omega, who smiles at him in return, sitting himself on the fountain.

"I decided to take a walk. What about you?" Jisoo dips his hand down the fountain, enjoying the cool sensation against his skin.

"I'm thinking some things through." He replies, the omega arches his brow at that. "What things?"

Seungcheol doesn't respond, he looks at the younger prince, and remembers how close he and his betrothed are close. Maybe he knows something.

"Prince Jisoo, if you don't mind me asking, has Prince Jeonghan told you anything lately?"

The omega hums, cocking his head to the side. "There's nothing I could think of. Why?"

"Yesterday, he swung a guitar on me, thinking I was pounding on the door when I haven't even knocked. He thought I was someone else."

Jisoo's eyes widen as he lets out the most dramatic gasp, "IS THE GUITAR OKAY?"

Seungcheol's jaw dropped, not believing what he heard. Jisoo must have realized what he said as he stammers out, "I mean, was Hannie okay? Were you okay?"

The alpha chortles, deep voice rumbling as he holds his side, "You rendered me speechless back there, Prince. Was the guitar yours?"

Jisoo flushes, "N-no. Its Jihoon's. And I'd rather not think what he'll do if he knew what happened to his precious."

"That sounds terrifying." He says as the younger nods, shuddering a bit, "Absolutely."

Seungcheol then remembers what they were discussing just before, clearing his throat to get the younger's attention. "Tell me then, Prince. Has anything happened lately to Prince Jeonghan?"

Placing a hand under his chin, he ponders for a moment as he trips down the memory lane, brows furrowing in concentration. "There is this something I could recall, when I went to check for him this morning, he was reading, of what seems like a letter, maybe a note? But hyung looks pale as a paper sheet, so I asked him but he yelled at me to get out."

"Letter?"

The younger nods, pink hair falling out of place as the breeze gets a little stronger, "Yeah. I don't know what it was but I saw him hide it under his bed."

"Huh."

Seungcheol looks back at the castle, thinking of ways on how he could sneak into their bed chambers without anyone noticing, maybe he could ask Prince Jisoo to let him in but he doesn't want the maids to think of ill thoughts. He can parkour through the balcony and get in the window. He sighs, that wouldn't work either. He must find a way, whatever was written in that piece of paper might give him a clue or maybe is the sole reason why his betrothed is restless and distracted.

But, what does the letter contain? Is it about him? Like he said, he knows no enemies who may be a huge threat to him, or to the Prince.

Seungcheol clicks his tongue in annoyance, feeling his head throb with so much thinking, then something pops in to mind. What if there is someone who opposes the marriage?

The alpha lets out a deep growl, scaring the Prince besides him. He gazes back at the omega who unconsciously whimpers, bowing his head. The sight made him guilty, so he reaches a hand and puts them on his shoulder, squeezing gently.

"I'm sorr–"

Seungcheol hears it before he sees it, the sound of the string snapping and something zips through the air. He searches where its coming from and his widen as saucers as he sees the silver metal glinting towards the Prince in front of him in fast pace.

His body moves on its own, his instinct to protect the omega over power his senses, one hand on his waist and the other on the back on his head, he pulls him into his chest, switching their places. Jisoo stood there, shock at their proximity and is about to ask what is going when the alpha grunts, his hold tightens as his knees go weak, the omega supporting his weight.

Jisoo puts a hand on his shoulder to push him off when his palm touches something wet. He takes his hand and sees what it is.

Blood.

He screams.

"Prince Seungcheol!" He turns the alpha and sees what has caused the red splotch on his shoulder, spreading around the wound. An arrow.

Jisoo tries to shake the alpha awake, he could feel himself shake in fear, screaming for help.

Seungcheol groans, "Prince Jisoo, go."

The last thing he sees before he lost consciousness was Prince Jisoo's tear-streaked face.