Prologue

Prologue

The small roadside cafe was bustling with a lively crowd on a Wednesday afternoon. The desert heat made everything and everyone slow down with the sands. The leaves on the date palm trees haven't moved in ages due to the lack of wind around this part of the world. They sagged with golden dates as people gathered beneath them to enjoy an afternoon tea or a trip to the market.

Manya moved through the crowds freely, politely declining offers from local venders for various goods. She crossed the street and entered the air conditioned cafe. Her green eyes scanned the occupants of each table until she found the one she had been searching for.

Heyder was hard to miss. Unlike the bearded men around him in long garments, Heyder sat leaned back in his chair with his shirt half way open. His many tattoos were on full display. They traveled up his arms and around his chest. The dark ink stood out under his gold chains. His buzz cut hair was also a total contrast to the men around him. But that wasn't the only thing that set him apart.

Heyder was a Jinn. His magic could put any witch or sorcerer to shame.

Manya approached him slowly and took a seat in the chair across from him.

Heyder smiled, "Would you like some tea?"

Manya sat up straight, butterflies floated in her chest. "No, thank you."

"Ali!" Heyder called out without taking his eyes off of Manya. "Two teas, please."

Manya pressed her lips into a thin line. She folded her hands in front of her on the table.

"Speak," Heyder smiled. He was amused by her nerves.

"You know why I'm here?" Manya started.

Heyder's smile widened. "I owe a favor to your husband. He's dead, but you came to cash in that offer."

"Yes," Manya nodded.

"What can I do for you?"

"My son has decided to join Xavier's King's guards," Manya sighed.

"Noble cause," Heyder said picking at his diamond nose pin.

"He has to give up his mate," Manya said. "That's what separates the King's guards from the rest of the army."

Heyder snorted, "Why?"

"Without a mate, the King's Guards can focus and devote their attention solely on their duties."

"I guess." Heyder moved on to examining his nails.

"I....I don't want my son's bond with his mate to be severed."

Heyder raised his brow. "Is that how your son feels?"

Manya hesitated, "No...."

"Then?"

"He deserves a mate," Manya spoke up. "He is a good son, a good person. He is rushing into this decision because he thinks he has to prove his father wasn't a traitor."

A long silence stretched out between the two in the busy cafe.

"Let's say I do this," Heyder leaned forward. "Your son will go through this ritual of severing his bond, but of course if I mingle hard enough the bond will stay. A few years down the road, he meets his mate....then what?"

Manya stared at him.

"You son will get kicked out of the guards," Heyder predicted.

"He will see his mate by then, he'll change his mind."

Heyder chuckled. "Man, that is the craziest thing I ever heard."

"Will you do it?" Manya asked with urgency in her voice. She watched as Heyder scratched the 5 O' clock shadow on his face.

"You owe my husband," Manya reminded him.

"If my memory serves me right, which it usually does, you have two sons." Heyder said. "And I heard through the grapevines that both of your sons have joined the King's guards....which one are you trying to save?"

Manya slowly leaned back and pulled out a photo from her purse. She slid the picture across the table. Heyder picked it up and smiled.

"Consider it down," he said as he leaned back against the chair once more.

Manya nodded slowly. She was about to get up and leave when Heyder stopped her.

"All magic has limitations," Heyder picked up the jar of sugar in front of him and spilled some on his palm. "Even mine."

"What do you mean?" Manya's heart stammered hard in her chest.

"I will save your son's bond....but he won't know who his mate is until he has kissed her."

"What?" Manya sat back into her chair. "No! That's not going to work. He can't go around kissing every girl he ever meets."

"Take it or leave it," Heyder shrugged. "Saving his bond isn't an easy task. Xavier's shaman's have been doing the ritual for centuries. By now they have perfected it. You take what you get."

Manya sat in front of the Jinn helplessly.

The waiter, Ali, sat the two cups of tea in front of them. Heyder picked up his cup and took a long sip.

Manya stared at her tea for a long time. Once the steam from it disappeared, she looked up at Heyder.

"You still want this?" He asked.

"What have I got to lose?" Manya said.  

Who's excited? I am! 

How can this be connected to Mavi's story??