CH.42 Burn it all

Chapter 42

Xavier didn't come down for dinner.

The family waited for him until Rye left the table and went in search for her husband in his office.

When Mavi rose from her seat, Exton stopped her.

"Let mom handle this, Piglet," he said quietly. "There isn't much you and I can do right now."

Mavi took a deep breath and sat back down. Owen laced his fingers through her and pulled her hand on his lap.

"I can't believe that fool," Ellanore said under her breath. "For years he stood by our side just to stab us in the back like this."

No one said anything around the table. Mavi kept her head down and picked at the peas on her table. Her mind kept slipping to the image of Charles's body. Her ear was heavy with his words about her and her mother.

"Mavi, dear," Ellanore said. "Don't let a rodent like Charles discourage you. He was spineless."

Mavi nodded. Owen kept his eyes on her and watched her carefully as she moved around her food.

"So what is the plan for the other bastard?" Ellanore wiped the corners of her mouth with her napkin.

Exton took a sip of his water, "We sent words to Arion's court and summoned him."

"He's not coming," Ellanore said. "He's a fool, but he's not suicidal."

"We did our part by extending an invitation for a civil conversation," Owen said. "The next move his his."

Ellanore nodded slowly, "Good. Make sure to bury him in the gold he sold us out for."

Mavi gently pushed her plate away, "May I be excused?"

"You barely ate anything," Ellanore pointed out.

"I'm not really hungry," Mavi frowned.

"It's rude to leave the table in the middle of din-"

Mavi got up and dropped her napkin on her plate before she bent down and kissed Owen's cheek.

"I'll be upstairs," Mavi said.

Owen pushed his chair back and rose to his feet as well. Mavi frowned but he ignored her as he took hold of her hand and led her out of the room.

"You didn't have to leave," Mavi said as they walked upstairs.

"I had hoped by now you'd have learned that I am not letting you out of my sight," Owen gave her his dimple smile that made the weight of the day elevated off Mavi's shoulders.

"Thank you," Mavi said as he pulled her into his arms in the middle of the halls.

Owen cupped her face into his large warm hands as he brought her closer. Mavi rested her hands on his forearms as she pushed up onto her tippy toes and waited for him to kiss her. She would never get over the feeling of his lips. Every time he touched her, it was as if it was the first time.

Owen lowered his head and brushed his lips over her. He stuck his tongue out and teased her as her breath hitched in her chest.

"Owen," Mavi whines.

Laughing lowly in his chest, Owen finally kissed his girl. She was a masterpiece, perfect in every way to him.

"I love you," Mavi whispered.

"I can't say I love you anymore," Owen rested his forehead against her and sighed.

"Why not?" Mavi frowned.