Ch.27 Eggs

Chapter 27

Mavi sat on Owen's bed as he paced the floor in front of her. Her eyes followed him like a pendulum. His hands rested on his hips as he walked the floor back and forth with a deep frown.

"Are you going to say something?" Mavi asked after a while.

"I'm sorry," Owen didn't stop pacing. "This is a lot to think about right now."

Mavi frowned and pulled her legs up and wrapped her arms around herself. Her movements caught Owen's eyes and he paused to look at her sitting on his bed wearing nothing but his shirt.

As their eyes connected, Owen walked over to the bed and pulled the covers off. Mavi watched him as he placed them over her bare legs.

"They're distracting," he mumbled.

Despite the tension in the room, Mavi smiled. She pulled the soft covers closer and placed her chin on her knees. After a moment of confliction, Owen sighed and sat down in front of her.

"Are you sure?" he asked, worried.

Mavi chewed on her bottom lip, "I heard him talking to her on the phone and then my dreams....two of them."

Owen sighed again running his hand through his brown hair, "But they could just be dreams, no?"

Mavi shook her head slightly, "My dream about us came true."

Owen's eyes snapped up to her, "What dream?"

"On my birthday.....when we danced. I had dreamt that," Mavi said quietly.

Owen stared at her, "You did?"

"Yes," Mavi dropped her gaze to the blanket and picked at the invisible lints. "It was all the same. The music, the place, the clothes we wore...."

Owen nodded quietly. He watched her fingers pick at the covers. Just a few minutes ago he was ready to throw it all out the window and give into his feelings for the breathtakingly beautiful girl that sat in front of him. But now, he was sitting in front of her worried about his brother's career and their family reputation. His mind was in shambles.

Owen wanted to focus all his attention on Alec. If Mavi was correct, then the kid had definitely goofed up. There was a whole mess that needed to be fixed.

But Owen couldn't tear his mind away from Mavi long enough to focus on Alec. There was no denying anymore that he loved the girl. He loved her with every ounce of his being. He knew she felt the same way about him. If they had been different people, this would have all worked out....But they were who they were. She was a princess, the heir to the throne. And Owen next to her would be a stain on her path. People would point fingers and judge her for loving someone other than her mate.

"Mavi,"

"Owen,"

They both froze as they called out to each other in the same exact moment. Mavi chuckled nervously as she tucked her messy locks behind her ear.

"You can start," She said timidly.

Owen took a deep breath, "We....we need to talk about what happened."

Mavi's eyes dropped to the invisible lints again. She felt her cheeks warm as she chews on her bottom lip. She didn't know why she was feeling so shy and nervous. The man had literally just seen her half naked.

"What did you want to talk about?" Mavi asked.

Owen mold over the words in his head carefully. It was an impossible task. He always seems to say the wrong thing around her.