CH.41 Family

Chapter 41

Mavi quickly pulled on a pair of jeans and a plain t-shirt before Owen laced his fingers with her and they walked down to the interrogation room together. They found Xavier, Exton and Basil all standing outside staring at the fake Owen through the one way mirror. Edward stood inside with a silver dagger ready in his hand, while two other guards stood behind with other silver devices.

As Mavi and Owen approached them, Exton looked over his shoulder at his sister.

"He wants to speak to you," Exton said.

"I hope you told him absolutely not," Owen's mood darkened.

"We need him to answer questions," Basil said. "And he made it very clear he will only answer to Mavi."

"Why?" Owen asked.

Mavi stared at the man through the window. Her insides turned every time she thought about the night she had kissed him and held him.

"Because he feels the mate's bond with me," Mavi said, not taking her eyes off of the traveler. She felt Owen take a long steady breath next to her as his fingers tightened around her hand.

"Go in and see how much you can get out of him," Xavier said after a pause. He stood like a giant with his arms folded over his chest and his brows furrowed in tension.

Mavi slowly turned her eyes towards Owen next to her. His eyes begged her to refuse but she knew he would never ask her to do such a thing. He knew she had duties and his protectiveness had to take a back seat.

Mavi pushed up onto her tippy toes and pressed a kiss on his cheeks before she took a deep breath and moved towards the door that separated the rooms. The air inside the room sent a chill down Mavi's back as soon as she entered. The interrogation room was always kept cool in order to make the people uncomfortable.

At the sight of her, the traveler smiled. Mavi pressed her lips into a thin line and moved towards the chair in front of him.

"Are they here to intimidate me?" The fake Owen asked, motioning towards Edward and the other guards.

Mavi didn't respond. She took a quiet seat and folded her hands in front of her on the table. Her face was void of any emotion. She smelled his scent, but her dragon was angry.

He was not her real mate.

"Are you angry with me?" The traveler asked. When he titled his head and flashed her his dimple smile, Mavi also smacked him.

"I will be asking the questions," she said sternly. "You answer."

"Bossy, aren't we?"

Mavi narrowed her eyes at him and glared.

"Oof, princess," the traveler laughed. "If looks could kill......have mercy."

Mavi hated the way the word princess came out of his mouth. Through the cement walls and the one way mirror she swore she could feel her real mate's anger and irritation.

The traveler smirked at her reaction. She knew he was enjoying getting under her skin. But he was playing games with the wrong girl.

Mavi took a deep breath and pretended to calm herself. She angled her face slightly away from his as she pulled her lips back into a slight little smile.

"You have a beautiful smile," the traveler said, a bit breathless.

Mavi flashed him her large gray eyes and looked away, giving the perfect illusion of being flattered by his words. She pushed her hair over her shoulder and moved her chair closer to the table.