Ch.4 Dress to impress

Chapter 4

Lunch was a mind numbing affair.

Avni talked and talked about her plans for her senior year and about the different events she wanted to do around campus. Her group of friends, who for some strange reason all looked identical to Mavi, nodded in agreement to everything she was saying.

Adam was on cloud nine. He hung on every word that came out of Avni's lips. Avni loved the attention. Every time Adam laughed at something she said, she would lean towards him and bump him with her shoulder.

Mavi sat across from them sandwiched between two blonde girls who had abnormally high pitched giggles.

"So what do you think?" Avni suddenly turned towards Mavi.

Mavi blinked, "About what?"

"About Saturday!" Avni said cheerfully. "My party."

"I think it's a cool idea," Adam said. "We'll be there."

"Really?" Avni clapped her hands. "Oh that would be great. The King's Guards will come right?"

"It's off campus so yeah," Adam chuckled.

"Okay," Avni nodded. "I'll see you both there. I have to run now, student government meeting."

Mavi and Adam waved goodbye as the girls rose from their seats in unison and gathered their trays to leave. Once they were gone, Mavi turned to Adam.

"What did we just agree to?" she asked.

"Did you space out again?" Adam snorted. "Avni throws a back to school party every year before the beginning of classes. It's this Saturday at one of her dad's hotels in Manhattan, we're invited....and we are going."

"I really thought this socializing train would be going at local speed," Mavi sighed.

"Mavi," Adam sighed. "The most popular girl in school just hand picked you to be part of her group without you even lifting a finger. When will you take advantage of the weight that comes with your name and title? That should be you, you should be the Avni Kapoor of this school."

"You know I'm not good at this stuff," Mavi frowned.

"And that's why you need to learn," Adam shook his head. "That was the whole point of this trip. For you to step out of your comfort zone."

Mavi didn't say anything. She frowned and poked at her food.

"Stop sulking," Adam nudged her leg under the table. "You're a big girl."

"Okay, okay, jeez you're worse than Eggs and Dad."

"We're gonna make you popular!"

"But I don't wanna be popular," Mavi protested.

"No one cares what you want," Adam stuck his tongue out. "Now go tell Owen we're going to the city tomorrow."

"Tomorrow is Friday,"

"Yeah and the party is Saturday," Adam rolled his eyes. "I need to get you a new party dress."

"I have dresses."

"You're going to an Avni Kapoor party, not a state dinner," Adam expressed. "You need to look hot and not like your grandma dressed you. Now go."

"I regret convincing Uncle Caspian to send you here," Mavi mumbled as she got out of her seat and headed towards Owen at the back of the hall.

Owen gave her a slight nod of acknowledgement as she approached him. The girl with the short blond hair next to him did the same.

"Mavi," Owen said. "This is Liza Ludwig, she will also be a part of our team."