Chapter 7 - The Nightmare

The familiar screams capture my mind, sending me into a trance. I feel compelled to find the source. I tear my body away from the warmth of my bed and walk through the welcoming, homely house.

I go onto my tiptoes to reach for the lock on the door that towers over me as I'm only 10 years old. Opening the door the screams grow louder, almost deafening. The voice of the women holds a certain familiarity keeping me on edge.

Abruptly, all my actions halt as the image before me gets revealed. I feel my breathing hitch and my pulse drastically increase. 

It can't be? This isn't real, it needs to not be real! 

I'm now wishing I had never left the comfort of my own bed.

I drop to my knees, a numb feeling engulfing my body. Tears I didn't even know were there are now streaming down my face.

There, right infront of me, is my mother. My precious mother, lifeless. Her eyes half ajar and blood running all down her face. She's dead. She's actually dead.

Suddenly an aching feeling runs through my veins, it's agony, it's heartbreak. The pain is excruciating, quickly becoming unbearable.

I scream.

----------

I sit up in the luxurious bed, panting. I feel my chest rising and falling heavily and rapidly. The beads of sweat that formed on my head are dripping down my face. Then it dawned on me...

The nightmare is back.

I attempt to calm myself down but to no avail, I think I'm having a panic attack.

Am I going to die? Is this the end? Omg! There are so many things I want to do I don't want to die. Why now?! 

I am brought back to reality as the bed shifts under me, reminding me where I am. I look over and hold my breath hoping for the man beside me to go back to sleep, fortunately he does. 

I sigh and lie down again letting the mattress encompass me. Thinking about the dream I had I can't help but wonder why has it returned? 

When the events first took place almost 7 years ago it was a common occurrence, pretty much every night. It gradually faded out as time passed. I've not had it in about 6 months now so why?

Forcing myself to think logically I presume it's because the anniversary is coming up, or perhaps it could be seeing Mr and Mrs Park again. I mean it definitely makes me reminisce on the old times when I see them. 

It use to be the same with Jimin, until I realised he had changed. Now when I look at him, he doesn't remind me of the joyful times before the accident, he reminds me of all the torture him and his friends bring me. 

Realising I will be unable to fall asleep again, I decide to get an early start. To re-energise myself I will make an effort today. Although it always goes unnoticed, it makes me feel more confident when I know I have on a nice outfit and subtle make up that makes my features stand out.

I check the time on my phone; 3:47 am.

Well it's an earlier start than I thought but I'm feeling unusually optimistic, maybe I'm a bit loopy because I'm tired.

[...]

It's currently 6am and I couldn't be happier, after getting ready I still had an hour to kill and I had nothing to do. Never thought I'd say it but I kept wishing for it to be time to go to school. Finally, I hear Jimin's alarm go off and I let out a breath of relief knowing I didn't have to be so quiet anymore.