Chapter 14 - Anniversary

Shit.

I can't believe it's the 17th of October - the anniversary - and I forgot! 

Guilt floods my body, consuming all of my logical thoughts and I fail to bring myself out of this panicked, fragile state.

"Yooo, Y/n? Calm down." Jimin is currently trying to get me to relax slightly but it doesn't work.

Eventually the anxiety attack subsides. I just needed some time to come to terms with my absent mindlessness. 

"I'm a terrible daughter! I didn't even remember it was the anniversary." I cry.

Jimin looks at me in disbelief, "Y/n, if you were a bad daughter you wouldn't be getting these nightmares." 

I nod my head, trying to convince myself more than anything else.

"Look, we've got school now let's just get ready ok." He begins to move and get ready for the long day ahead.

"Wait," I hold him back, "After school what is your mum doing?" 

He expresses a weirded out face, "Why do you want to know what my mum is doing? And she's probably going to visit the grave." He fades out at the end.

"Do you think she would let me go with her?" I ask frantically.

He laughs, "I think she would drag you along with her even if you didn't want to." He walks off and I smile to myself grateful for the Park's kindness and warmth they've shown me.

[...]

The day went by agonisingly slowly and surprisingly, Jimin and his squad were no where to be seen.

"Hey I'm going to Mum's grave tonight, do you want to come?" I question my tired friend as we walk further from the jaws of hell; school.

"Sure." He replies.

"Ok, come with me now then because I think Mrs Park is going to drop us off because she's coming too." I state and take his hand pulling him along with me.

[...]

"Y/n, just let me change into something more comfortable then we can go to see your mum ok?" Mrs Park voices as she walks through the huge double doors, back from work. It's kind of nice hearing someone talk about her as if she was still here, as if this situation was normal. 

"Ok, Mrs Park can we take JB as well?" I inquire, doubting if she will recall him from before.

"Oh, of course that's fine." She enters the room and instantly spots him sitting beside me on the leather couch, "Oh wow, you've grown up so much! How are you?" Clearly she does remember him.

"I'm fine, thank you Mrs Park." My flustered friend politely answers.

"Ok, I'll be back in a minute kids." With that she strolls off to get changed.

[...]

I freeze up, my body isn't allowing me to go any further. It's always been difficult but why this year is it harder than ever before? 

I observe the dull grey stone from a distance, the engraved words faded more than last year. 

"Do you want to get closer?" JB asks me sympathetically.

"Yes. I just can't bring myself to goany nearer." I answer honestly.

He reaches his hand out to me, "Come on. It will be fine." 

I flash an appreciative smile before clasping his hand in mine as if for dear life and force my weak, shaking legs to approach the grave surrounded by flowers and various other gifts of respect.