Chapter 9 - Birthday

I scream.

-----

I wake up, a cold sweat coating my body. I curse myself for letting a stupid nightmare have this much control over my life and this much significance in my unimportant world. I'm panting and trying to calm down when someone touching me makes me flinch.

Jimin's hand is touching my thigh because I'm sitting up, "Y/n? Why are you awake again?" He questions even though his eyes can barely stay open.

"I'm sorry if I woke you again." I say not knowing what else to do.

Jimin breathes heavily and I assume he's going back to sleep but then he pulls himself up and leans against the head bored.

"This has happened a few times now, what's going on?" He is visibly finding himself more conscious and awake than before. 

"It's nothing." I whisper.

"Clearly, that's a lie. Just tell me what it is, I don't want to keep getting woken up each night." When I fail to answer he continues, "Are you having nightmares?" 

When he says it I feel stupid, like a little kid who is scared of the dark, and that's exactly how it is in a way. I stay silent once again and he sighs before pulling me into him. 

He's hugging me? He's actually hugging me?! 

"Is it the same one you got about...your mum?" He interrogates hesitantly. 

I just nod my head slowly, still trying to process what the fuck is happening right now.

"Ok, at least I know now." He says sleepily as I can feel him beginning to drift off again, "Just know," he adds, "I'm only doing this because I'm tired and I don't want to wake up again." 

I can't help but giggle slightly at this side of him as we lie down, he releases me much to my dismay but takes my hand in his as a way of reassuring me someone is here with me and if the nightmare returns I have something to let me know it's not real. I'm thankful for the gesture. He doesn't want to hug me I get that but he was still nice enough to comfort me. This side of him is nice to see, rare and only when he's sleeping but nice. He knows what happened so he knows what I've been through I guess anyone with a heart would feel bad at this point. 

"Oh yeah," I remember, "Jimin?" I shyly call for him.

He hums, only half responsive.

"Happy Birthday." I congratulate realising it much be past midnight by now. I can see the corners of his lips tug up slightly before sleep engulfs him again.

I give in to the heaviness of my eyelids as I let them close and I don't wake up again until the morning. 

[...]

I slowly wake up to see my hand still laced with Jimin's, I grin remembering last night. I could sense the boy I once knew somewhere hidden deep inside this new Jimin last night and it was comforting to know he's not completely gone.

My eyes scan the wall for the clock and I read that it's 5:58am. 

I lay there just thinking about things until I'm rudely interrupted by Mr and Mrs Park entering Jimin's bedroom with a cake in tow and singing tunefully to him. 

I send a smile there way as I watch his eyes flutter open reluctantly. He chuckles at his parents idiocy but is thankful never the less. He sits up separating his hand from mine without any second thoughts or hesitation. 

Deciding to give the family their privacy I get up and wish Jimin a happy birthday to which he awkwardly smiles at me because, well we don't get on, and then leave downstairs to get ready for school.