~Advice~ Todoroki x Reader

Just a mini drabble to get myself back into writing.  I've felt burnt out by school this past week and I've been really tired, so I haven't been at my best, but I hope you guys enjoy this little scene.  I've been wanting to write it since the season 4 finale came out, but I wanted to finish the requests I had before I did, so here it is! Enjoy!

It hurts seeing Todoroki like this.

His body is a tightly coiled wire, quivering from the tension.  Like everyone else in the room, his eyes are glued to the TV screen, waiting to see the fate of Endeavor against the new and improved Nomu.  From behind everyone in the room, I want nothing more than to hold onto him, hold him, give him something to grip since he looks like he may fall apart.

The tension in the room is thick as everyone holds on with bated breath, waiting for the smoke and flames to clear.

"Endeavor is standing!"

Todoroki lets out a small gasp.  He can't believe what he's hearing, he needs to see it.

"He's standing!  Standing...with his fist raised high!"

It's not until the camera flashes to the image of his father, costume half burned off and hunched over, that he collapses into a crouch, fingertips pressed together to ground himself.

"A sign of victory! No-of his start!"

The boy heaves breaths in, a sheen of sweat covering his forehead as everyone else in the room surrounds him but allowing him space.  From behind, I can't tell what exactly he looks like, but I know he probably looks like he's ran a marathon.

I should probably leave him alone for now, he needs time to process this himself.  Besides, he's got everyone else if he needs it.  I silently back away from the scene, fetching the tea cup I'd come down to the kitchen for in the first place and walk up to my room.  "At least Endeavor's okay.  I can't imagine the state Todoroki would be in if..."  I choose not to even finish that sentence.

After about a half hour of unsuccessfully focusing on my homework, there's a knock at my door.  Curiously, I open it.

"Hi...(Y/n)."  Todoroki looks beat, as expected.  He's tied his cardigan around his neck over his shoulders since he probably got hot from stress-sweating.  The boy's eyes don't meet mine, choosing to downcast.

"Hey, something up?" I ask, trying not to sound too worried.  I don't want to get him worked up anymore.

He scratches the back of his head.  "This may sound strange, but...would you care to come to the roof with me?  I don't exactly want to go alone."

My heart aches for him.  "Sure, let me grab a sweater."

I retrieve the hoodie laying at the foot of my bed and follow him out into the hallway, up the stairs to the roof.  The afternoon had finally waned into twilight as golden light rays coat the sky.  The Sun had already dipped below the horizon as the darkness starts closing in.  The cool summer night's breeze caresses our faces as we near the ledge.

Todoroki leans his arms on it, his hair lightly whipping the white strands out of place into the red side.  He breathes in an exasperated sigh and drops his head down on his arms, closing his eyes.  If I didn't know any better, I would think he was just exhausted from training and needed some fresh air.  I don't want to interrupt his mediation, so I stand there near him just within reach of offering comfort if needed.

"Did you see the news today?"  His voice tries to sound casual, but there's the fatigue laced into it.

"I did," I admit quietly.  "How are you feeling?"  I don't want to be too overbearing if he doesn't want it.

He's silent for a moment.  "Relived, I guess.  Children are supposed to be worried about their parents, right?  Even if they've done some unspeakable things in the past."

I nod.  "It's understandable, of course."  I wait for him to continue.

It takes him a moment to gather his thoughts.  "I thought I wouldn't react like this.  I didn't think I'd be this distraught if something happened to him.  But when it was happening, I just...I couldn't help it.  I thought I would scoff and say he deserved it, but instead I felt...helpless, because I couldn't be there for him."

"Of course you'd feel something," I offer softly, "He's still your dad, even after everything he's done."

Another silence.  Todoroki still faces the horizon.  "I was scared.  Even more, I felt guilt and regret.  I didn't realize I had so many things I wanted to say to him, and in the unfortunate event that...something happened, I was afraid that I'd never be able to tell him, and he'd never know how I feel about him."  His body starts trembling and one of his fists clench into his hair.

My chest feels tight again at his vulnerability.  I gently place a hand on his back.  "Todoroki, your father was probably thinking of you too in that moment."

His head shifts slightly to face me, his turquoise eye gleaming from moisture.

I offer a small smile.  "I'm sure he cares about you.  He found the will to fight, to stand there in the end, because of you.  He wanted to prove that he can be a hero you can be proud of.  I'd say he did it, what do you think?"

He slowly rolls up to standing, wiping his face with his sleeve.  "I suppose so."

I touch his arm so he faces me.  "Todoroki, he's trying his best to please you, he's said it to you before.  I think you should meet him in the middle.  In our line of work, you don't know if you'll be alive the next day.  So if you're worried about leaving things unsaid, you should say them sooner rather than later."  I look him straight in the eyes, making a move to wipe the wet trails before retracting back.  "I think you need some time at home.  Spend time with your family after all this, do some mending.  You'll come back not just lighter, but I'm sure you'll be back way more energized and ready to kick ass."

Todoroki can't resist the chuckle that leaves his lips, another residual tear escaping his eyes.  "You know just what to say, (Y/n).  Thank you for everything."

A warm current shudders through me and I look away sheepishly.  "It's nothing, I talk too much and I give my opinion when it's not needed-"

His cool fingertips brush my cheek, cutting me off.  His bicolored orbs capture mine tenderly.  "And when I come back and I'm more emotionally stable, I'll confess to you properly."

Heh-?

His lips touch mine, barely a ghost of a kiss that still manages to send sweet electricity running down my spine into the pit of my stomach.  Even as he pulls away, the simple kiss still lingers between us and I can't react at all, still reeling from it.  "This is all I'll leave you with in the meantime.  My apologies if it was sudden, but with all these emotions I'm feeling, it was an impulse I couldn't control anymore.  Or rather, I didn't want to control anymore."

I can't help running my tongue over my lips and biting them.  "T-Take your time," is all the advice I had to offer.  My heart flutters into my stomach from the light feelings.

Todoroki's eyes flicker down to my lips again and he hums, "I'd like to do that again, but I'll hold off, for both of our sakes.  I wouldn't want to get too carried away."

I clear my throat.  "You're right.  You have more pressing issues to work out."

He tilts his head to the side.  "Your blushing face is adorable, I anticipate the next time I'll see it."

The statement effectively makes my blush intensify, only for him to chuckle again.