~Not For Me~ Shinsou x Reader

Anon requested on tumblr: " You are going to kill me for this...Can reader-chan be SUPER scared of Shinsou's quirk. "

Back on my requests dears! This took a while to do, but I'm glad I got it finished finally! I won't make a long author's note bc it's 4am and I've been getting no sleep for the past 3 days, I'm running on fumes. Hope you enjoy!

Shinsou is convinced love isn't meant for him.

He already had a difficult time maintaining friendships in elementary and middle school because of his villainous quirk. Since everyone wanted to either run away from or take advantage of him, it's no wonder why the boy always thought he was meant to be solo for the rest of his life. He never wanted to fall for anyone, he says, it doesn't even bother him.

But one can't help their own feelings from happening. Sometimes your brain takes one look at someone and screams, "Them! I want them!" In Shinsou's case, the one his brain claimed is in the support class, one of Hatsume's much quieter classmates. The boy has seen this reserved support character following behind the pink-haired firecracker, clothes just as dirty and always preoccupied with scribbling in a notebook. He figures they're the hardworking type, wishing to see what kind of inventions hide in that notebook.

Shinsou wanted to use his private training after the sports festival to better himself, not just physically, but to better the mental image he had of himself. Midoriya already spurred the cogs of change in his mind, he just needed to slick the wheels a little more. Under Aizawa's care, he worked hard to achieve this; his reward at the end of the tunnel would be to confess his feelings to the lovely support student.

Near the end of the semester after training tirelessly, he felt he was in a good place physically and mentally. Despite everything his traumatized mind was telling him, he argued, No, I deserve to be happy, I deserve to love. He's convinced the universe has dropped this opportunity on his doorstep to lift him up, something to dig him out of the crippling weight of oppression he's faced up until now.

He can be happy.

Shinsou approaches the workshop tentatively. He's rehearsed all his lines in his head down to all his hand gestures and movements in an effort to look cooler in front of them. Not even his nerves can stop him now, it's now or never.

"I'll be ready for the Sports Festival next year! I'm gonna be as great as you, Hastume!" he hears his crush announce amongst the sound of grinding metal.

"I'm sure you'll make it to the final rounds like I did!" Hatsume praises haughtily.

"I should make sure to hone my quirk too, don't wanna end up a one-trick pony."

Shinsou unconsciously smiles. That's exactly what Aizawa tells him as well.

"Like...that kid who fought Midoriya."

The tone of their voice stabs Shinsou in his chest. It was the embodiment of a frightful flinch from an attacker.

"Yeah, Shinsou's his name, I believe- Hey, are you okay?" Hatsume sounds alarmed.

"Yeah, I'm fine, just...a little shaken."

Part of Shinsou wants to comfort them, causing his hand to grab the door frame to launch himself through the door and hold them close.

"I can't imagine being controlled by such a power. It feels...intrusive. It's scary to have your agency taken away, even for a moment. How could you do that to someone? I can't handle that."

That's what makes Shinsou's grip loosen, his head dipped. His world spins as if his one tether is cut, he needs to sit to ground himself. He doesn't even want to go in there, afraid of seeing whatever mortified face they have and imprinting it into his memory forever. It's best he doesn't go in there.

"That's true," Hatsume muses sympathetically. "But it would be useful against villains, wouldn't you agree?"

They don't answer. Shinsou rises to his feet slowly, although his chest has that familiar sinking again. He's heard quite enough now.

"I was rooting for Midoriya in that match."

The boy doesn't know what hurts more, them being a fan of Midoriya or their voice returning to life at the mere mention of his name.

"Me too! He's quite the guy, isn't he? Not to mention he snapped out of that trance Shinsou had him in!" the pink haired girl gushes.

"I was on the edge of my seat when that happened! He's a true hero to me, he's my role model."

Shinsou has to snort to himself, as if this adds insult to injury. He should've known that someone who writes in notebooks will be attracted to the other nerd who writes in notebooks, they seem to have that same energy.

He pushes himself off the wall keeping him upright and trudges down the school corridor. All his hype disappeared just like that. How was he supposed to compete with someone who's the "ultimate hero example" like Deku? The one person who was able to break out of his quirk somehow?

In a way, it was embarrassing, but mostly frustrating. His quirk doesn't allow him to be a good hero despite all of his training in the past few months, but Midoriya even showed him that he's a bad villain. He's doomed to forever be branded by a quirk he didn't ask for, and it's interfering with his love life,

His heart sinks knowing that he'll probably be single for the rest of his life. All he can do now is harden his heart even more, and rescind himself to his fate. If his fate wants him to be a single, bitter person for life, that's how he'll be.