Happy Birthday

The sunrays hit my eyes telling me to wake up as my mother’s home cooking sent my stomach into a growling frenzy. I quickly opened my eyes and rolled out of bed only to be hit with a wave of soreness run through my body. I mumbled a curse under my breath before making my way towards the bathroom. I took a shower letting the scorching hot water hit all my joints giving them some type of release. I quickly hopped out of the shower getting ready for school then headed out my room towards the kitchen.

As I entered the kitchen, the smell of the food hit me on impact. My mother was cooking fresh bacon, sausage, scrambled eggs, muffins, pancakes, and waffles with her famous spinach surprise. I walked over to my mom and gave her a quick peck on the cheek, before piling a mountain load of food on a plate. I set the plate on the table then went over to the refrigerator and pulled out my bottle of milk, slamming the refrigerator door shut.

 “Hello my beautiful ladies,” my dad said as he entered the kitchen.

 “Hey dad,” I said taking a swig of milk before I started to walk over to the plate of food.

“Hello sweetie, how are you feeling? I know you had a rough day in practice yesterday,” he said.

 “I feel sore but that’s nothing to major,” I reassured him.

 “Good,” he smiled, “I’m glad to hear you’re doing okay.”

 I nodded in response digging into my plate full of food. I let a moan escape my lips while I was eating a piece of bacon.

“Taste good?” my mom asked hearing my moan of pleasure. I couldn’t even reply I was in bacon heaven at the moment and I didn’t want to get out. “Hello? Earth to Rosa.”

 “Don’t worry my dear,” my dad looked at me a smirk, “she loves your cooking.”

 My mom turned to look at my spaced out expression and chuckled. I snapped out of it and started to eat again I didn’t want to be late for school. After saying goodbye to my parents I started to jog along the special path I made that headed towards school. I slowed my pace and started to walk as I stepped out of the woods.

 “Boo!” a girl my age jumped out in front of me.

“Really Emma,” I said shaking my head. She’s been determined to scare me ever since I told her nothing scares me.

 “Yes, really,” she whined, “come on tell me you were a little scared…right?”

 “Nope, I picked up on your scent before you jumped out,” I replied.

  “Darn you werewolf,” she muttered.

 I laughed, “I love you to hunter,” I said wrapping my arm around her and we walked towards the building. 

~~~

  “Happy Birthday!” they shouted,

 “Shh!” I hushed them. Yes, today is my birthday but I didn’t want everyone and their mother to know. 

“Oh stop hating on your own birthday,” Emma said. It was lunchtime and my friends got me a birthday cake.

 “I’m not hating I just—" I started before I was interrupted by a heavenly scent. I sniffed the air there was a potent scent of oak trees mixed with some type of perfume. I let my heighten senses guide me to the scent. My eyes stopped on Alpha Landon then widen in shock. When he turned my way, I immediately looked away.

“Hey what’s wrong Rosa?” Emma asked touching my shoulder.

“Nothing,” I whispered then got up. “Um, thanks for the cake guys but you go ahead and eat it. I’m not really in the mood to celebrate.”

 “But—” I turned away not wanting to hear what Emma was about to say. I rushed out of the cafeteria suddenly needing fresh air to clear my thoughts.

 I push the school doors open and immediately felt the humidity of the sun smack me in the face. I embraced it and basked in the suns warmth before scanning the area for hidden cameras. It was easy for me to be caught since I was pretty much the only black girl in the whole school. Therefore, I put on my hoodie and stuffed my hands in its pockets before walking towards the woods.