Lost & Found

I walked through the woods looking carefully around me to see if anyone followed. When I saw the coast was cleared I entered deeper into the forest. I strayed off the path that usually leads me home while listening to the wind rustling the leaves in the trees. I sniffed the air it smelled like pine trees. I darted behind a tree shedding my clothes off before shifting into my wolf form. Although, many in the pack might not admit it but they do admire my wolf from afar. I had a pure white wolf that almost looked more angelic than ferocious.

 I stretched out all of my limbs before trotting deeper into the woods. My wolf growled lowly at me but I simply ignored her for the time being. I just wanted to have some peace and quiet. I then began to run and I ran for an hour not knowing exactly where I was going just going with the flow. Until my wolf finally spoke up, “is it okay for me to speak now?”  

I sighed then nodded my head while slowing my pace to a gallop.

“So our mate is the Alpha,” she stated and I nodded my head. “And you’re not going to tell him?”

 “No,” I replied.

 “Why not?” she asked.

 “Because the pack hates me and my family, and if the pack hates me then he also hates me to,” I answered.

 “Just because the pack hates you doesn’t mean that our mate will. He is supposed to love us no matter what and protect us.”

“Well for now he isn’t strong enough to do that. Once he turns eighteen next year then he’ll be strong enough for us,” I said jumping over a fallen tree.

 “So you’re going to keep this a secret until he turns eighteen?” she asked a little agitated.

“Yes, for now I will do everything in my power to be near him for your sake but also keeping our secret safe,” I said and heard her growl in approval.

 “How are you going to do that?” she asked wondering how I was going to keep my secret and be near my mate as much as possible.

 “Easy,” I said, “since I am the second strongest fighter in the pack I will request to be a bodyguard for the Alpha. When the time draws near I will train him into the man the pack needs for him to be.”

She was silent for a moment contemplating about my ideas. “Well you still didn’t say how you were going to keep the secret.”

 “True, I need your help if this going to be full proof.”  

 “What is it that I can do for you?” she asked vigilantly.

“Do you think you can disguise my scent from him? And not call out to his wolf whenever we are near him? I need you to act as if he was any other person from the pack when we are around him. Meaning if he is hurt or attacked then don’t overreact to it just stay calm in most given situations.”

 She was silent for a few minutes while I stopped at a small pond to rest. I lapped up some of the water letting it run down my throat. Then she finally spoke up, “sure I will help you but what about physical and eye contact? Those are two other ways that he can find out.”

“I know, I will buy color contacts and make sure I am not his sparring partner and if I come into contact with him it will only be his clothing not his skin.”

“Okay, we better get back home since its getting dark and we don’t know these parts of the woods well,” she said and I nodded my head in agreement and turned from the pond and headed home.

~~~

An hour later I still haven’t arrived home. In fact, I was stuck deeper into the forest if that was even possible. I usually had a better sense of direction so why wasn’t I back at home already. I sighed internally before stopping and looking towards the sky then frowned to see the trees were blocking my view.

“Why don’t you try the mind link?”

“I tried already but no one answered back,” I replied feeling a tad bit sad. I haven’t eaten anything since breakfast and I’ve been running most of the day so I quickly burned off all my calorie intake in just a few hours. I felt hungrier than Pooh bear looking for honey. I listened to the direction of the wind it was coming from the west side of me so I started to walk against the wind current. Ten more minutes of walking, I still felt lost and finally gave up. I trotted towards a big tree and plopped down next to it.

“What are you doing?”

“I’m going to rest since I can’t seem to find my way out,” I answered.

“Well try calling for help again,” she said in a demanding tone.

 “Don’t you dare use that voice with me,” I said calmly before adding, “I’ll rest against this tree and you stay up and guard us. If anything happens, I’ll let you take us home or someplace safe. But for now let me sleep.”

 “Okay, go to sleep then,” she said while she went on high alert.

 “Thank…you,” I said sleepily then drifted off into a deep sleep.

~~~

When I woke up it was morning my stomach growled wanting food. I stretched out my limbs while standing on all fours. My wolf was sound asleep and I couldn’t help smiling a little at her.  I sniffed the air trying to catch a whiff of a familiar scent and I immediately smelled a hunter. Suddenly feeling happy, I let out a low howl letting the hunter know that I was near. I hear footsteps coming towards me and I take a few steps forward. A man about six feet tall came from behind a tree staring at me then his face turned into one of recognition.

 “Hello Rosa,” he said. I bowed my head showing respect since he was the leader of the hunters.

 “What are you doing here?” he asked. I immediately shifted not worrying about my nakedness since he’s seen it all before. No, I don’t mean in bed you dirty little hamsters!

“I left school during lunch and came out into the woods where I ran to a pond. On my way back home it got dark and I couldn’t find my way back home,” I explained.

 “Oh I see,” he said with a smirk before he took off his shirt and tossed it towards me.

 “Thank you sir,” I said putting on the shirt.

 “You’re welcome. Now I need to get you to the pack house before everyone starts to miss you.”

 “I doubt anyone missed me,” I said lowly while following his retreating back.

A hop, jump, and a skip later I was back at the pack house. I turned to the hunter bowing my head before saying, “thank you sir for your services and I promise to give you back your shirt.”

 He just shrugged before a grin broke out onto his face, “It wasn’t a problem at all, and besides I think you look sexy in my shirt.”

Oh dear what I did I get myself into I sighed taking a deep breath then looked back at him amused. I just shrugged his comment off before turning around and walking towards the door. When I opened the door and looked back he was gone.