Layers and Walls ☆ Carrots.

Author:

MarvelLover2397

Reviewer: __Carrots__

Chapters Reviewed: Six

First impressions:

Cover wise:

I think you have done a nice job with the cover. It is a simple cover with all the details that a reader needs to know. The font, the theme and the background colour gives us an idea of what the book could be about. So all the readers who are looking for a book like yours, would give it a try.

Blurb Wise:

I think you have done a great job with the blurb too. Your blurb was what lured me towards your book.

The only thing is, when I read your first chapter and tried to relate it with the blurb, I simply couldn't. The blurb and the chapter looked of two completely different books. To tune it, you could add just a bit of a detail of Anastasia's personal life to your blurb. Just a little sentence, or a short paragraph giving us an insight of her hidden skills, about her missions.

Also, you start the blurb by telling us that Anastasia has a reason for being and acting as she does. Well, do tell us how she is and how she acts. Your blurb should always consist of atleast one component that introduces the readers to the main characters.

Title wise:

Layers and Walls is a good name, yes. It tells us what the book is about, also who the book is about. Here, I'd like to point that "Layers" is a quantitative word. It has no meaning of it's own if not joined with a subordinating word

For example, "Layers of bricks", "Layers of yellow paint".

So grammatically your book name is bound to be incorrect.

I would suggest "Layers of Walls" as a close substitute, but it's all up to you.

Plot:

Amazing plot. I simply love it! It's an original plot line, a story one doesn't read on Wattpad often. So good work on that. : )

Just keep in mind that your plot line remains consistent throughout out your stories. I have only reviewed six chapters so it's not for me to say, but if you ever notice that your books aims are changing gradually and diverting from the plot line, correct it as soon as you notice it.

For this purpose, planning an outline for your book before you start writing helps very efficiently. As it is, LAYERS & WALLS is a complete book so perhaps you don't have the diverting plot line problem.

Character Development:

There are a lot of characters in your book. And sometimes it becomes confusing for readers to pin point which character is which.

It often helps if you associate your character with a physical feature. For example narrating about Darren, you can mention a little physical detail, if there's not any physical detail that extinguishes him, then give him that.

Give him an accent, or a type of stance ( strong stance or a passive stance whatever, it depends on how you have created your character), a stammer or laugh, just anything that remains consistent throughout the book, so we don't get confused that who is who.

Anastasia's character is one of a strong girl who doesn't let herself rely and be dependable on any body.

But along with it, there are her character flaws too (as any well developed character should have). Her anger is really intense and she always thinks of expressing her anger through violence, so there you have a flaw.

A story is often considered good if the main character evolves with it, I haven't read the whole story so I don't know, but I would advise you that focus on Anastasia's flaws. Make her rectify them through the course of your book. That's what is called character development.

Writing style:

I'm not going to elaborate much here. Every writer has a different and customised writing style.

Although I'd like to mention that there is a fine line between a first person narrative and a diary entry.

Diary entries are always very detailed, first person narratives are not, or atleast they shouldn't be.

Because a person doesn't recall his/her whole history in their mind just for fun on any random day. Diary entries do that.

So remember to never make your first person narratives more detailed than it needs to be.

Overall, Your writing style is good. It has no grammatical mistakes, and the sentence formations, the phrases, the expressions, the information is all very accurate and proper.

But there's always room for improvement. More writing and more reading will develop your writing style, and help you. But as it is, you have a clear and orignal writing style.

Typos and Grammar:

agni_infinity has already cleared that out, and I have mentioned the typos and other mistakes in the in-line comments.

I'd like to mention that there should always be a distinguish between who's speaking. Agni has mentioned that in her review, I'm repeating this to express the importance of it.

It's very important.

_________

So that's it. There's my review.

If there are any further questions, and suggestions please do PM me.

If you think that some parts of the review didn't stand up to your expectations, and also that you couldn't relate to the review, please let me know. I'll do my best.