O Brother, Where Art Thou

Cyn was downstairs lying on the couch. There was music playing while she entertained herself by playing her handheld and munching on snacks. All of her moving in was done. She decided to just use the drawers while those two losers wasted time hanging up their clothes. What was even the point in that, Cyn wondered. Especially since Delilah always took the time to iron everything anyway. If one of Cyn's shirts were a little wrinkly she just threw it in the dryer for a few minutes. Problem solved. She laughed to herself and ate another cookie. She was so clever. Those other two could stand to learn a thing or two from her. "Damnit." Cyn muttered to herself. She lost the same level again. She got up and went to the kitchen and grabbed a juice box before returning to her spot on the sofa. She was optimistic about this trial run. Now that it was actually here most of her fears had disappeared. Delilah told her that the guest room would be her safe place. It would be her room if she needed to hide. That made Cyn feel better.

  The doorbell rang and Cyn hopped up to answer it after turning off her music. She opened the door and was met with two strangers. A man and a woman. "Hi!" Cyn smiled as she greeted the two of them.

  "Hi, dear," The woman said, "is Delilah home?"

  "Yes." Cyn wondered if she should let them in. It  seemed rude to make them wait outside but she didn't know them and didn't know if Delilah knew them. "One moment." She ran upstairs and went to the main bedroom. "Daddy?"

  "She's in the guest room, sweets." Emma called from the closet. "What's wrong?" She could hear the panic in Cyn's voice.

  "There are strangers at the door!" Cyn explained.

  "Strangers?" Emma frowned and went back downstairs with Cyn right on her heels. She paused when she saw the "strangers" staring back at her. "Mom? Dad?"

  Cyn gaped. Mom and Dad? Of course. She should have been able to tell. They have the same striking features.

  They both looked surprised to see Emma. Though they shouldn't have been. This was her girlfriend's house. "Emma." Her father said. They hadn't seen each other since the explosion at dinner that night.

  "Come in." Emma said. She closed the door behind them and led them to the living room to have a seat. In her confusion she forgot that Cyn has never met them. "I'm sorry. Cyn these are my parents, Meredith and Paul. This is Cyn. My girlfriend."

  Cyn paused. She wasn't actually expecting Emma to break it them so abruptly. She was happy she did though. Being kept a secret wasn't one of Cyn's favorite things. "Hi, Mr. And Mrs Evans. Nice to finally meet you."

  Paul sighed. He didn't have the resolve to ask the obvious, but of course his wife did. "Girlfriend?" Meredith asked. "What do you mean? I thought Delilah..." her voice trailed off. "Oh no. Did you two..? Well it's great that you're both mature enough to remain friends."

  "Well if that's the case, we can go." Paul stood up just as Delilah came downstairs. She was taken aback to see Paul and Meredith in her home. She only wished her shorts were a bit longer and by the blush on Mr. Evan's face, so did he. She pulled down her tank to cover her belly button.

"Oh no you don't." Meredith said. "Have a seat, darling." Paul groaned and sat back down.

"No, Mom. Delilah and I did not break up. We're just all dating." Emma explained. This was easier than she thought. She cared so much before about what they would think or say but it didn't matter. She loved her girls. This is what it was going to be. Her parents could take it or leave it.

Meredith cleared her throat. "I see."

Delilah awkwardly said hi to Emma's parents and sat down. She wasn't sure what was going on. It was obvious nobody really did.