Best Friends

Delilah was in the kitchen trying to prepare dinner for her lovers. She had decided to make one of Emma's favorite meals. She noticed Em had been in a sticky mood since her parent's visit yesterday and thought she could use a little pick me up. That is, if she could find anything. It seemed as though one of her wonderful girlfriends rearranged the kitchen layout. Nothing was where it was supposed to be. It wasn't where Delilah was used to it being. Cyn hardly ever organized anything. This seemed like a very Emma thing to do. Delilah took a deep breath and tried to calm down. The closet was one thing but the kitchen? This was her sanctuary. Okay. Not a big deal. She's a little stressed right now. Maybe reorganizing the kitchen helped her relax. I'll just take the time to put everything back like it was. Then I can get started with dinner. Delilah talked herself off of the ledge. She quickly yet methodically rearranged and relocated as she needed to make her kitchen the oasis that she knew it could be for her. Once that was said and done she starting cooking. She hummed to herself as she whirled around the kitchen. She thought about the news Emma's parents delivered the day before. She imagined how she would feel if her father told her she had a long lost brother. Delilah thought maybe she would be excited. Besides Miguel she didn't have any siblings and though there was no way she could love Miguel more she wondered sometimes what it was like to share a bloodline with someone. The little similarities between you and your siblings. Things you inherit from your parents. Delilah knew it was different for Emma though. She knew how much Emma liked for her place in people's life to be cemented. With the arrival of her newest sibling maybe Em felt like she would be replaced. Maybe her parents would have a new shiny toy to dote on and that probably scared Emma to death.

"Yo!"

Delilah nearly jumped out of her skin. She turned around and saw Daniella leaning on the counter sucking a lollipop. "What the hell, Dani?"

  "I knocked. You didn't come to the door."

  "When people don't answer the door that means go away." Delilah continued cooking.

  Dani laughed. "Yeah right. What are you stress cooking?"

  "I'm not stress cooking."

  Dani walked over to her. "So why is your forehead doing that thing?" She ran her finger back and forth across Delilah's forehead as if she was trying to erase something.

  Delilah swatted her hand. "What thing?"

  "That thing it does after someone irks you."

  Delilah shrugged. "If anyone knew what that look looked like it would be you. Wouldn't it?"

  Daniella chuckled. "Only because you love me."

  "Interesting take." Delilah grabbed a knife and the cutting board. "I'm not stressed. Emma is."

  "Ooooo. So it rubbed off on you." Dani took another lick of her lollipop. "I get that. Sometimes when Miguel gets huffy, so do I."

  "Yeah.  I guess. I'm just worried about her."

  "Why? What's wrong with her?" Dani opened the fridge and grabbed a bottle of water.

  Emma didn't tell Delilah and Cyn not to tell anyone. Plus it was just Dani. She was practically Delilah's best friend. She didn't count when it came to secrets. My best friend?? Did I just say that. Well, obviously outside of Emma. And Cyn. But they were also her girlfriends. It was healthy to have good friends outside of the relationship. "Don't tell anyone." Delilah said.

"I won't! Swear." Daniella loved secrets. She was also very good at keeping them.

"Yesterday, Emma's parents came by to apologize about the racist shit."

Daniella rolled her eyes. "Uh huh."

"Anyway, after that they speak to Emma in private and tell her she has a brother."

"A brother!?" Daniella asked.

"Yes. A brother. Apparently they gave him up for adoption when they were younger. He reached out and wants to meet them."

  Daniella sucked on her lollipop for a moment while she let this new information settle. "So like what? Is she meeting him or what?"

  "Yeah. They all are."

  "Are you going?"

  "What!? No. I think that's something she should do with her family." Delilah would go if Emma asked her. Delilah would do anything if Emma asked her but she didn't think this was her place.

  "Fool, you are her family."

  "Still. I don't know." Delilah slid the perfectly diced onions into the pan.

"If Miguel had a sister that he was meeting for the first time, I would definitely go." Daniella shrugged. "She could be like him but girl hot. I'd leave him for his sister."

"You do tend to move from one sibling to the next, don't you?" Delilah teased.

Daniella squealed and laughed. "Shut up!"