Lean On Me

**TW: R*PE**
Love you guys. Stay safe.

  Delilah realized that in her anger fueled departure she forgot her phone. She grabbed her keys but was intoxicated and shouldn't drive. Thank god for friendly neighbors. She ran across the street and knocked on the door. A little old lady who could barely see answered.

  "Who is it?" She asked before opening it all the way.

  "Hi Miss Branch. It's Delilah from across the street. Can I use your phone?" Delilah asked politely. She tried to make her voice sound as calm as she could even though she was burning with rage.

  "Delilah?" She asked. "The sassy one?"

  That actually made Delilah chuckle. "Yes."

  "Oh why didn't you just say so? Come in. Come in." Miss Branch removed the chain from the door and let Delilah inside. When Miss Branch first moved in, Delilah made it a habit of checking on her from time to time. Her son visited when he could and always thanked Delilah for looking out for his mom.

  "Thank you." Delilah said as she closed the door behind her.

  "Iced tea? Cookies?" Miss Branch offered.

  "No thank you, ma'am. I just need to use the phone really."

  "Oh right." Miss Branch shuffled away and came back with phone in hand.

  "Thank you."

  "You know, my eyesight isn't what it used to be but even I can see you need a little pick me up. I'll be right back with those cookies."

  Before Delilah could protest, Miss Branch shuffled away. Delilah couldn't help but to think that's how Cyn would be when she was old. Sweetly stuffing cookies down the throats of all who dare to enter her home. Their home. She shook the thought from her mind and dialed Miguel's number. It was one of the handful of numbers she knew by heart. Miguel. Juan. Isabella. Emma. Cyn. Store one.

  "Hello?" Miguel answered.

  "Miguel it's me."

  Miguel looked at the number she called from. He didn't recognize it. "Are you in trouble? What's going on? Where are you?"

  "I'm okay... for the most part. I'm at my neighbor's. You remember Miss Branch. Can you come get me?"

  "I'll be right there." Miguel was out of the door before the call even disconnected. He didn't like the way Delilah's voice sounded.

  Delilah put the phone down and stood there until Miss Branch came back with a plate of cookies and a glass of tea. "Come on. Sit down." She walked into the den and sat down. Delilah followed her.

  "Miss Branch, my brother is coming to get me. I don't want to intrude. I can wait outside."

  "Well Miss Delilah, I'll be offended if you don't sit and keep an old woman company for a bit." She laughed at her own silliness.

  Delilah smiled and sat down. "Yes, ma'am." She was still wearing her lounging clothes. She had no plans to leave the house today and now she felt silly sitting on this woman's couch in a pair of fuzzy socks, a pair or shorts and a hoodie. Emma's hoodie at that. It felt so out of place to be outside of her home not dressed to impress. It made her uncomfortable.

"So did you lock yourself out? I've done that so many times it's embarrassing." Miss Branch helped herself to a cookie.

"No. My girlfriend and I got into a disagreement. I left in a hurry and can't make myself go back inside." Delilah admitted. After her grand show of leaving, her pride and anger wouldn't allow her to march back inside just yet.